Backup Error-Login Failed...

• We recently moved SQL 2000 from NT to Windows 2000 and backups (via EM Database Maintenance) fail with following error in error log:

SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version [Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 28000)] Error 18456: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.

Any suggestions?

• Try rebuilding the maintenance plan.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I did, same error. All Tasks/Backup Database works fine for manual backups but I need to set up a schedule (especially for the transaction logs).

• Make sure the account SQL AGent is running under has the proper permissions and exists on the Win2000 server. Looks like it is failing the login. Have you tried any other jobs?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• SQL Agent is running under the ‘Administrator’ account. I modified this account (via Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Mgmt/Local Users & Groups) to add the 'Backup Operators' group, ran the Database Maintenance plan and it worked. Thank you, thank you! I thought the 'Administrator' would inherently have ALL privileges.

• That is odd, I would have thought Administrator would too unless you moved to a domain or ADS environment. But the key is you have an answer that works.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply