Back in the saddle

• Christi Wilson (8/25/2011)

Can someone point me to a good article on derived tables vs temp tables in regards to performance?

I didn't want to start a whole new thread as this pertains to writing in my blog. I don't want to get into this but part of my illness wiped out a ton of my memory in every aspect of my life. That is about all I want to say about that.

Just remember, two different critters. Comparing apples to hammers.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (8/26/2011)

Christi Wilson (8/25/2011)

Can someone point me to a good article on derived tables vs temp tables in regards to performance?

I didn't want to start a whole new thread as this pertains to writing in my blog. I don't want to get into this but part of my illness wiped out a ton of my memory in every aspect of my life. That is about all I want to say about that.

Just remember, two different critters. Comparing apples to hammers.

True, Jack, but many people prefer to substitute one for the other in certain situations. For instance, I've found that, depending on the query, sometimes it works better for me to throw my derived table data into a temp table before the main query and just join on the temp. And vice-versa too. Sometimes the derived part of my JOIN works better than throwing the data into a temp table.

But they are two different critters, I will agree.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (8/26/2011)

Christi Wilson (8/26/2011)

REPEATABLE

Not a keyword by itself and not new.

Thanks, I had never heard of it, so it was new to me. I did a search on new t-sql from 2000 to 2005 and somewhere it was in one of the articles. Granted it was around 4am and my eyes were blurry and my head swimming so it probably wasn't a good time to read articles. I went back to see where I had found that term as it came up in between 2 articles that I read here on SSC. I couldn't find it after I read your post, went through my history and for the life of me I cannot find where or why I had listed this. I even looked in BOL and cannot tell if I read it after putting terms I found into BOL to obtain a better understanding of the terms. I must be going crazy!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I appreciate any and all comments, even those that make me look like I don't know what I am talking about. 😛

• Christi Wilson (8/26/2011)

GilaMonster (8/26/2011)

REPEATABLE

Thanks, I had never heard of it, so it was new to me. I did a search on new t-sql from 2000 to 2005 and somewhere it was in one of the articles. Granted it was around 4am and my eyes were blurry and my head swimming so it probably wasn't a good time to read articles. I went back to see where I had found that term as it came up in between 2 articles that I read here on SSC. I couldn't find it after I read your post, went through my history and for the life of me I cannot find where or why I had listed this. I even looked in BOL and cannot tell if I read it after putting terms I found into BOL to obtain a better understanding of the terms. I must be going crazy!

To satisfy the curiosity...

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL REPEATABLE READ

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you GilaMonster, you have saved my sanity 😛

• GilaMonster (8/26/2011)

GilaMonster (8/26/2011)

REPEATABLE

To satisfy the curiosity...

I'm sure that if I type that into an SSMS Query Window it will come out all in blue instead of 2 words blue, r words black, 1 word blue. Is this something weird that SQLSC does with code coloring?

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (8/26/2011)

I'm sure that if I type that into an SSMS Query Window it will come out all in blue instead of 2 words blue, r words black, 1 word blue. Is this something weird that SQLSC does with code coloring?

Yeah, the syntax highlighting plugin for here is a little wonky sometimes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply