Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A wrote:

There's been a few games played over here (not that I've seen any of them). I thought they were played at Wembley or the Olympic Stadium.

What "criteria" is it they aren't meeting? Guarantee of Sunny Skies? ??

First it was Wembley, then they added Twickenham which they changed to Tottenham which has a dedicated NFL pitch which they swap for the football pitch. Prior to this year I attended all bar two of the London games. This year, since they screwed season ticket allocation at Tottenham I am only attending the two at Wembley.

I think Wembley has the seating capacity, Tottenham has not, but I think both may fail in parking and possibly hotels. The real catch is time as Steve mentioned, to get the time right for the US it would have to start late (after 11pm) well after the latest time allowed.

p.s. And also we do not have a team 🙁

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  David Burrows.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• When Jacksonville hosted, the big news was that we didn't have a large enough prostitute industry to support the game. There were people literally bused in from Atlanta, Miami, etc. to fulfil the players' / coaches' / bigwigs' needs.

The night of the game, we had a "facilities problem" at the stadium that struck about halfway through the second quarter or around half-time. Not sure which. People became seriously unhappy.

On the other hand, Jacksonville does meet the requirements. Even if the "evening entertainment" needs to come in from out of town.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Oh boy how I love vendor code. I am not exaggerating to say I just saw this.

try
    {
    OneLineOfCode;
    try
    {
    AnotherLineOfCode;
    try
    {
    ThirdLineOfCode;
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {}
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {}
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {}

It is bad enough that they used the try/squelch anti-pattern but seriously...what is the point of nesting them three deep? Do they actually not realize that the outer empty catch would also catch anything inside? And why did they bother to name the Exception? I guess they don't care about compiler warnings either. The compiler does not like these types of lazy things. There were about 4 more levels of nested try-squelch around all this garbage. But the outer code had a try/catch that displayed an error if one happened. Too bad the class logic prevented the error from getting back. Sigh...I am going to have a stiff drink now.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• try
    {
    OneLineOfCode;
    try
    {
    AnotherLineOfCode;
    try
    {
    ThirdLineOfCode;
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {}
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {}
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {}

This code was "generated by a tool" 🙂

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

London would be interesting. The SuperBowl is such an event and exepnsive. Likely not much more cost in London than LA for attendees.

Long as they don't change the time, which would be late UK time.

It's easy to complain about the Broncos, but I also appreciate we've had a lot of success until the last three years. I know plenty of ities haven't had a glimpse of what we have.

Why would anyone even consider moving the Super Bowl to another country?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Well, this is interesting. I'm trying to submit a new QOTD, and it *appears* that the very feature I'm trying to describe actually causes the question to become malformed when I save it.

Specifically, I was trying to load a question about how Backslash (Line Continuation) (Transact-SQL) works, however, when i submit the question, the backslashes I put in the question followed by a line break/Carriage Return & Line Break are removed!

I wonder if this works in here too:

'Here is my literalstring'

Image of the above before I press submit. if the above appears on  one line, the answer is "yes".

Yes, it removes the backslash and new line here too.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Thom A. Reason: Confirmed "feature"

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• It is bad enough that they used the try/squelch anti-pattern but seriously...what is the point of nesting them three deep?

To introduce some really fun bugs when half the code runs?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

London would be interesting. The SuperBowl is such an event and exepnsive. Likely not much more cost in London than LA for attendees.

Long as they don't change the time, which would be late UK time.

It's easy to complain about the Broncos, but I also appreciate we've had a lot of success until the last three years. I know plenty of ities haven't had a glimpse of what we have.

Why would anyone even consider moving the Super Bowl to another country?

As long as a certain cheating coach and quarterback are allowed to stay in the league the Super Bowl kind of looses it's appeal to me.  So it's OK with me if another country wants to host it.  The NFL is a joke this year, so many bad teams, ref's are horrible even when they use replay they still get calls wrong.  So glad I didn't have to pay for the NFL Sunday ticket this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• So here's a story of how I managed to nearly give my team lead a heart attack...

Sit back, pop a cold one, relax, because this is going to be a long one.

Several weeks back our site went through a command cyber readiness inspection (CCRI.)  Now, this sort of inspection is something of a BIG DEAL as not passing it is a BIG black mark on the commanders' record and can get our systems quarantined until things get fixed.  I was one of the "lucky" ones who had to sit with an auditor and go over how my SQL Servers were configured and why.  That part went well (other than a couple minor items,) but I did do one stupid thing that's supposed to be a NEVER, EVER do this sort of thing.

I went home at the end of the day, stopped to get the mail, and as the topper on the days cake (mind you, I'd spent the drive home driving myself into almost a frenzy about the stupid thing I did,) I dropped ALL my keys in the storm drain right by the mailboxes.  Got to the house, called the wife, called my team lead to let him know about the stupid thing and what happened to my keys.  All the preceding is setting the stage, so here comes the fun bits.

Next day, I'm teleworking, team lead calls me early in the day, tells me that because of my stupid thing, we had FAILED the CCRI.  Now, he only left me panicking for maybe a minute, but none the less, my blood pressure probably went up a fair ways.

Which brings us to the payback.

I'd told our boss what the team lead had done to me and why (without explicitly stating the stupid thing I'd done, if it hadn't come up, I wasn't bringing it up, made it out to be some checks that failed on the servers.)  My idea for payback was to get my team lead thinking I was going to be moving on from my job.  Well, our boss loved the idea and thought it would be funny, but suggested I hold off for a few days or more.  Which was fine, I had to get someone to call like they were checking references.  Eventually, wound up getting a co-worker whom I'd worked with at my previous job (and he's the office prankster) to play along, he checked in with my boss and the plan was set in motion yesterday.

Over the last couple weeks we've been dealing with a rush-rush job and I'd been grumbling a bit about it.  Including comments about checking the USAJobs website.  Well, the prankster yesterday, just before our team meeting, pulled my team lead into the boss' office, and proceeded to spin a yarn about getting called as a reference for me.  My boss is one heck of an actor and managed to sell being shocked to the team lead, my team lead apparently went white.  The boss and team lead then came into the team meeting, the team lead was VERY discombobulated through the meeting, refused to answer any of my questions.  At the end, he kept asking if anyone had anything else, every time looking straight at me.

Finally, as we were leaving, I asked if he was out of sorts, possibly because of the meeting he'd just stepped out of, that was probably about me job hunting.  As he's starting to react to that, our boss couldn't contain himself anymore and breaks into a face-splitting grin as I tell the team lead this was payback for the CCRI joke.  I have NEVER seen, before yesterday, someone collapse against a wall in relief.  He started grinning and chuckling about it, we fist-bumped, and went about the day.

Now, I'll admit, I'll be looking over my shoulder for a while for some payback on his part, but it's all in fun (and I felt safe in doing this, what with his and my boss getting behind me and pushing me to do it, and our division chief being warned about it and her only comment to my boss being "don't keep him hanging too long.")

And that's how I nearly gave my team lead a heart attack (doesn't help that I'm the sole DBA for our team, either.)

• jasona.work wrote:

So here's a story of how I managed to nearly give my team lead a heart attack...

... long story

And that's how I nearly gave my team lead a heart attack (doesn't help that I'm the sole DBA for our team, either.)

NICE!!!!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• To the person with the crystal ball, any prediction when SSIS projects will work properly in Visual Studio 2019?

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

To the person with the crystal ball, any prediction when SSIS projects will work properly in Visual Studio 2019?

I, personally, suspect a while. SSDT 2017 supports SQL Server 2012-2019, so I would (personally) suggest using that. Last I checked (will check and edit this post), SSIS was still in preview mode on VS 2019; so it'll be full of "features".

Edit: Yep, still in preview. Currently it's on Version 3.1 Preview.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Thom A. Reason: Preview confirmed

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

To the person with the crystal ball, any prediction when SSIS projects will work properly in Visual Studio 2019?

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Knocking on wood, just updated to vs 2019 16.3.6 and got the "variables" showing again

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Jo Pattyn.
  • Jo Pattyn wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Jo Pattyn wrote:

I, personally, suspect a while. SSDT 2017 supports SQL Server 2012-2019, so I would (personally) suggest using that. Last I checked (will check and edit this post), SSIS was still in preview mode on VS 2019; so it'll be full of "features".

Edit: Yep, still in preview. Currently it's on Version 3.1 Preview.

The whole VS SSIS/SSRS/SSDT is crappy.

I'm still on SSDT 15.8.0 in VS2017 and because it works I stick with it. Tried later versions (although not 15.9.2) and either they did not work, crashed or lost essential features.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,096 through 64,110 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply