Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

More like scrambled the internet. Unfortunately the upgrade turned into Whack A Mole. One thing to break external links, and a whole different one to lose internal stuff. Reconfirms my early retirement 6 years ago - the push for speed is too great for me. Getting it right and avoiding the scramble to fix is pushed to the curb.

Heh... I'm going to hold back on all of what I think about all of that except to say that you've said it with much more PC than I could in my current frame of mind about it all.

Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

Right now, my priority is to wait a few more days for the water to warm up. Predicting some time to relax and pull in some crappies. And maybe a few walleyes next week, after the rush of opener. Upgrading to a new minnow just seems to have more appeal these days than upgrade the software.

I've done something rather rare but well deserved for me... I'm finally going to use some (a lot, actually) very well deserved "stay-cation" time this year.  I've already cleared taking next week off.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Sergiy wrote:

I don't know what's the internet and how to unbreak it, but I could participate mostly on the go, from my Apple mobile devices. previous upgrade made it very difficult to post from Safari, the las one made it almost impossible even to read posts. does anyone really appreciate the empty spaces on 75% of the screen?

Not even on a desktop.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Sean Lange wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

... Right now, my priority is to wait a few more days for the water to warm up. Predicting some time to relax and pull in some crappies. And maybe a few walleyes next week, after the rush of opener...

This may as well be written in Swahili for all the sense it makes to me. You need warm water before you can 'pull in some crappies'? You should consider calling a plumber.

LOL. These are both North American fish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walleye  

Heh...

"Where ya goin' in such a hurry, Jeff?"

"Walleye'm going to take an urgent crappie!" 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Have a great staycation. Neighbor is going to Michigan UP for 10 days. From the picture his boss sent - 30 plus inch walleye - they have some fun times in store.

• Jeff -

The fishing buddy from Detroit has a ‘shotgun plunger’. That statement might be made in jest, but if Doug says that, it would be like pulling a fire alarm!

Might share that with him, but will make sure I am not caught in the running of the bulls to exit the cabin. Never did I think I would meet someone proud to plug any toilet. Then along came Doug, and I have to realize this person does exist.

Jeff - The fishing buddy from Detroit has a ‘shotgun plunger’. That statement might be made in jest, but if Doug says that, it would be like pulling a fire alarm! Might share that with him, but will make sure I am not caught in the running of the bulls to exit the cabin. Never did I think I would meet someone proud to plug any toilet. Then along came Doug, and I have to realize this person does exist.

I'm thinking he might mean one of these...

Shotgun Toilet Plunger

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• BTW and while we're on the subject...

They say that old people don't get enough exercise.  As I've gotten older, I've found that's simply not true.  Mother Nature has a plan to ensure that all old people not only get enough exercise but has made it so that they are unrivaled in the area of super quick dashed.  What is that plan?

She has made it extremely urgent to pee. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I've done something rather rare but well deserved for me... I'm finally going to use some (a lot, actually) very well deserved "stay-cation" time this year.  I've already cleared taking next week off.

Woo-hoo! Now comes the hard part... to NOT think of work.

I hope that you have a great time off.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Woo-hoo! Now comes the hard part... to NOT think of work. I hope that you have a great time off.

Not thinking about work will be easy.

Not thinking about SQL Server will be difficult because I've so much to do.  Ed Wagner and I are working on a "Black Arts" of Index Maintenance precon that we hope to debut for the upcoming Pittsburgh SQL Saturday.  If you've not seen the sessions I've offered on the same subject at multiple SQL Saturdays (next one is Columbus, OH in June), let me assure you that the precon will change pretty much everything you've ever learned or thought about index maintenance, if I do say so myself.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• So Jeff, Doug has been sending pictures of that model. Including a picture in a local bowling alley. Evidently, when infused with enough fireball, it is socially okay.

So is the plunger a local Detroit item? And possibly you know Doug.

Will that SQL Saturday have a live stream?

So Jeff, Doug has been sending pictures of that model. Including a picture in a local bowling alley. Evidently, when infused with enough fireball, it is socially okay. So is the plunger a local Detroit item? And possibly you know Doug. Will that SQL Saturday have a live stream?

Ah... there's that word "stream"... be right back (insert sound of urgent very fast walk for about 23 feet here)...  😀

{pause for the cause}

Ok... I'm back.  The shotgun plunger is definitely not a Detroit innovation.  The name of the company that makes it is "Kidz Toyz HK Ltd".  I'm pretty sure you can figure out what "HK" stands for.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Luis Cazares wrote:

I didn't see the need to add a comment. The other answer is shown as accepted with multiple positive votes. The bad answer has now 2 negative votes (one mine and probably one from Sean).

I've voted the delete the answer, as that seems like a better idea in truth. Think Sean has enough Reputation to do that too, if he does want to.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

I didn't see the need to add a comment. The other answer is shown as accepted with multiple positive votes. The bad answer has now 2 negative votes (one mine and probably one from Sean).

I've voted the delete the answer, as that seems like a better idea in truth. Think Sean has enough Reputation to do that too, if he does want to.

I downvoted and flagged it. It's noise.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

I downvoted and flagged it. It's noise.

I down voted everything on that post.  None of the people involved including the original poster, the two people that posted the answers, the idiot that edited the original and follow up post, or any of the moroffs that upvoted the currently accepted answer realized that you can't do an EXEC on a bloody table name.  Typical "brilliant" SO thread.

It would also appear that a couple of us also missed that. 😉

That being said, it might make a nice "ace breaker/RTFQ" question on an interview test. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• In other news, what do you do when 2 CLI languages for your OS's isn't enough: Introduce a third: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/

I admit I haven't read too far into it, but I really don't see the point in introducing another new CLI on Windows. People are still using cmd, even though it technically doesn't exist on the latest Windows 10 builds. Personally, I think they would be better focusing on PoSh.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 63,481 through 63,495 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply