Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I've had a couple of chats with Steve about our move to a "modern" interface for SQL Server Central. It's insane how badly software is coded these days. We had to make this move because the older software just wasn't cutting it, but, yeah, we're going through some teething pains with the new stuff. You are all awesome for dealing with it and helping us out. It'll all get resolved and then we'll keep going. Better than before. Better, faster, stronger.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I've had a couple of chats with Steve about our move to a "modern" interface for SQL Server Central. It's insane how badly software is coded these days. We had to make this move because the older software just wasn't cutting it, but, yeah, we're going through some teething pains with the new stuff. You are all awesome for dealing with it and helping us out. It'll all get resolved and then we'll keep going. Better than before. Better, faster, stronger.

Make SSC great again...

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

...It's insane how badly software is coded these days.

Unfortunately, that's an altruism nowadays.  However, if people continue to accept bad software (performance, security, maintainability, scalability) then there's no impetus for people to change.

Grant Fritchey wrote:

...Better than before. Better, faster, stronger.

Heh - I'm a DBA.  I'll believe it when I test it.  That's one of my own altruisms. 😉

• Robert Chipperfield (Redgate) wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

It looks like profiles work again as do the PM messages.

Sorry folks - some rewrite rule badness happened. Should be fixed now (along with followers / following which also had some semi-related issues).

Thanks, Robert.  And thanks for what you do.  This was (is) a big move for you good folks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I've had a couple of chats with Steve about our move to a "modern" interface for SQL Server Central. It's insane how badly software is coded these days. We had to make this move because the older software just wasn't cutting it, but, yeah, we're going through some teething pains with the new stuff. You are all awesome for dealing with it and helping us out. It'll all get resolved and then we'll keep going. Better than before. Better, faster, stronger.  

haha commercial software is much like the posted questions....they just keep getting worse.

I totally understand the motivation and the anguish you are going through. Pretty sure that most of the people at least in the thread all remember a software release that didn't go so smoothly. Once the dust settles on this release I think we are going to have a better site with a better experience for people. Kudos and thanks to the whole RedGate team!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

haha commercial software is much like the posted questions....they just keep getting worse. I totally understand the motivation and the anguish you are going through. Pretty sure that most of the people at least in the thread all remember a software release that didn't go so smoothly. Once the dust settles on this release I think we are going to have a better site with a better experience for people. Kudos and thanks to the whole RedGate team!!!

If someone doesn't remember a software release that didn't go smoothly, either they haven't been on enough releases or they're losing their memory.

I really appreciate the willing to improve, but it's been a real pain. I hope you can MSSCGA. 😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • We are working on changes. I was going over items and checking until 9pm last night after a long day. Others on staff have been putting in 12+ hour days this week. We're moving and changing, and sometimes breaking things that were working slightly.

We do appreciate your patience, and we are working to clean up some of the sharp edges. Lots of things fixed, and also lots of things we never thought to test as they aren't common items we see. We also missed some things that probably should have been caught, but the testing for a large site like include a lot of manual checks and ultimately I bear the burdern of not checking many things. Like block quotes. Just didn't check it. Bullets were working, then they weren't.

There are some high priority items being tackled and then we'll likely slow the pace of change next week to avoid burning people out, but we do probably have weeks of smaller fixes to trickle out. We also do need to use the system and bit and better understand how we want to make changes. Some of my (and your) responses are emotional as the change is disruptive. If it needs to be fixed, we'll get it done. If it's a change in some workflow, we'll evaluate the impact and decide how to move things forward.

#MSSCGA

• Jeff Moden wrote:

+1 googolplex to the thought of "rolling back" .  Of course, there' less that 1/googolplex  chance of that happening.

I'm inclined to say + 10 to the power googolplex.  Sorting out some of the painful aspects of the new system neeeds more support than a mere googloplex.

Tom

• Although the quote feature appears to work in this forum, it doesn't always work elsewhere on the site:   there is sometimes nothing to indicate the boundary at the end of the quoted passage, no indication of where the quote ends and the response starts.    You can see this in my message posted at 6:26 pm on 3rd April in the discussion on Steve's "The Creepiness of AI" editorial.  I spotted it, and edited a line with only "...." on it into the appropriate place as a marker of that boundary.

Tom

• Steve and others, thanks very much for all the hard work on this. There are clearly some teething problems still but I'm well aware that we don't pay for this service.

• Thanks, and my apologies for the issues. We are working, in fact, working some people quite hard. There are some client side issues (it appears) as well. Hopefully we'll track some things down soon and clean up the sharper edges sooner rather than later.

• Well, with the new leaderboard (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/contributors), we have our first millionaire.

• Congratulations GAIL SHAW!!!!

And thanks to the Developer Team that fixed the "Contributors" output!!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• In this new software, is there a way to set the # of posts to view on a page? I have always used 50, but now it only gives me 15.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Well, with the new leaderboard (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/contributors), we have our first millionaire.

Yay.

Um, so what are those points redeemable for again? 🙂

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 63,271 through 63,285 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply