Are the posted questions getting worse?

• drew.allen - Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:52 AM

I had to change my password at work today.  I set it to a 12-character string with a mix of uppercase, lowercase, and numbers.  When I came back from lunch, I was unable to log into my computer.  I tried again making absolutely sure that I typed the password slowly to reduce potential typos.  Still unable to log in.  I ended up eventually locking my account and calling the help desk.  It turns out the problem is that the password has to be exactly 8 characters.  No more, no less.

First, why would anyone have a maximum password length set to 8 characters in this day and age?  I can understand having a minimum, but not a maximum.

Second, when I enter a string that is too long, why does it not produce an error message?

Third, when you go to change the password, why doesn't it remind you what the policy is?

:crazy:

Drew

Jumping in on this, we've got an application at work that for a while, we couldn't figure out why the heck it kept failing to connect to its' database after we set everything up.  After much cursing, re-re-resetting passwords (it uses a SQL login,) and vendor support e-mails, we finally found out that...
    It ONLY supports letters and numbers for the password.
    So, yeah...
    Nothing in the installer, or the can't login message, or anywhere easily findable does it mention this...

• jasona.work - Thursday, January 17, 2019 11:57 AM

drew.allen - Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:52 AM

I had to change my password at work today.  I set it to a 12-character string with a mix of uppercase, lowercase, and numbers.  When I came back from lunch, I was unable to log into my computer.  I tried again making absolutely sure that I typed the password slowly to reduce potential typos.  Still unable to log in.  I ended up eventually locking my account and calling the help desk.  It turns out the problem is that the password has to be exactly 8 characters.  No more, no less.

First, why would anyone have a maximum password length set to 8 characters in this day and age?  I can understand having a minimum, but not a maximum.

Second, when I enter a string that is too long, why does it not produce an error message?

Third, when you go to change the password, why doesn't it remind you what the policy is?

:crazy:

Drew

Jumping in on this, we've got an application at work that for a while, we couldn't figure out why the heck it kept failing to connect to its' database after we set everything up.  After much cursing, re-re-resetting passwords (it uses a SQL login,) and vendor support e-mails, we finally found out that...
    It ONLY supports letters and numbers for the password.
    So, yeah...
    Nothing in the installer, or the can't login message, or anywhere easily findable does it mention this...

Gr.... when oracle bought the company they got oracle BI from they changed the password standards on the login to disallow certain characters.  Not mentioned anywhere in documentation or in an error message when it starts up you just couldn't login into it after the upgrade.

• Please, please, please, do not dog pile. However, you need to go and look at this execution plan. It's a doozy.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 17, 2019 12:48 PM

Please, please, please, do not dog pile. However, you need to go and look at this execution plan. It's a doozy.

I did.  I now have a headache.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Please, please, please, do not dog pile. However, you need to go and look at this execution plan. It's a doozy.

Oh wow! That's not an execution plan, it's a work of art!
    Until now I don't think I ever saw a Hash Match (Union) in the wild - now I see three of them in a single execution plan!
    And Node ID 1489 .... gotta admire the dedication!

CompileTime 18812 - no surprise!
    Reason For Early Termination: TimeOut - no surprise either.

Estiamted subtree cost: 292.949 ... now that IS actualy a surprise!

Thaks for sharing the link, Grant!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Not wanting to pile on so I'll ask the question here, wouldn't it make sense to use indexed views to pre-aggregate  the data since this looks like historical reporting?

• ChrisM@Work - Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:47 AM

Peppa Pig jigsaw.

Working on it, got most of the pieces, missing some parts though
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:46 PM

ChrisM@Work - Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:47 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, January 16, 2019 12:21 PM

Peppa Pig jigsaw.

Working on it, got most of the pieces, missing some parts though
    😎

Update
    😎

• Matt Miller (4) - Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:19 AM

I think someone forgot to carry the 1 or something, because that would come out to roughly 918 pieces of bacon each and every day of me existence

Assuming my reference day was 1/1/2019:I would have to eat 286 years + 1 day "worth" of bacon, i.e. 286*365.25*24*60/9 = 16.7M pieces
    I'm nearing 50 so I'd have 18,200 days to consume that much bacon, which approximates to 918 pieces.

That is a LOT of bacon πŸ™‚

As 1 kg of bacon is approximately 30 slices, that means you would have had to have eaten an average of about 30 kg of bacon a day from age zero.

• Hugo Kornelis - Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:33 PM

Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 17, 2019 12:48 PM

Oh wow! That's not an execution plan, it's a work of art!
    Until now I don't think I ever saw a Hash Match (Union) in the wild - now I see three of them in a single execution plan!
    And Node ID 1489 .... gotta admire the dedication!

CompileTime 18812 - no surprise!
    Reason For Early Termination: TimeOut - no surprise either.

Estiamted subtree cost: 292.949 ... now that IS actualy a surprise!

Thaks for sharing the link, Grant!

I love the wildly disparate estimates vs. actuals too. It's a joy to behold that plan.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:40 PM

Not wanting to pile on so I'll ask the question here, wouldn't it make sense to use indexed views to pre-aggregate  the data since this looks like historical reporting?

Yeah, that's a possible solution too. Go post it. I just didn't want people dinging the poor individual. Looks like they inherited a true mess.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Darn... been a very long time since I saw this type of partitioning.
    Wonder if someone should suggest to merge the older tables onto a single table and change the underlying views - most likely the older ones not actively used anymore except on those views.
    Just not to tell them to upgrade to 2016 sp1 and use proper partitioning.

• frederico_fonseca - Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:10 PM

Wonder if someone should suggest to merge the older tables onto a single table and change the underlying views - most likely the older ones not actively used anymore except on those views.

For maintenance, I would agree. For query performance, a single table with good indexing could do the job.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • frederico_fonseca - Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:10 PM

Partitioned views aren't "improper". πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:40 PM

I'd put the whole lot into one table. There are only about 500 million rows.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 62,971 through 62,985 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply