Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I find it quite amazing how much variety their is on things like food and drink are treated by companies, and there are sometimes big differences even within one company. In the different locations I worked at when employed by ICL, one had only nasty coin-slot machines delivering appallingly bad instant coffee and instant tea (kettles and coffee machines were banned) and a pretty horrible canteen, at another I had a filter machine in my office and a kettle and a teapot and there were two canteens (one officially for the plebs and one for the rest of us, but no-one enforced that class distinction and both canteens were acceptable to lunch in but nothing special so there was a lot of going out for lunch), another had no rule against kettles etcetera except in the server room and a prohibition against balancing cups on printers, readers, and punches, another had coke and fruit juice and decent tea and coffee which was often but not always provided free (it depended what mood managers who could authorise free drinks for their teams were in). Mostly ICL allowed people to bring alcohol onto the premises but didn't sell it itself, but at least one site didn't allow it at all and at least three sites sold it. When I visited Bull in central Paris lunch would be in the works canteen, very high quality, half a bottle of decent wine included; when I visited Bull out near Versailles (and whichever University is out there) lunch would be out at a restaurant and would be excellent and very alcoholic. At Siemens in Munich the canteen provided free beer at lunchtime and the food was quite good. When I worked in Chennai (Adyar, Kasturibai Nagar) the office gave me 2 litres of bottled water each day but I mostly ate lunch at one or another of several good local restaurants (I ate more meals in the Sangeetha restaurant about 50 metres from the office, just across the road in Ghandi Nagar, than anywhere else when I was in Chennai, so for each of my 18 day stretches there I was mostly vegetarian). When I was in Beirut Neos gave me VIP treatment - for example barracuda, filet steak, decent wine for dinner - and there was good coffee always available in the office; Neos in London was just kettle and coffee filter with tea bags and reasonable ground coffee. I remember nothing of food or drink at Harlequin's offices in The USA (Cambridge, Menlo Park, and Seattle) because any such memory would be painful (but not as bad as remembering the taste of the local micro-brewery beers in Seattle and in Menlo Park), and in Harlequin's UK offices (Alderley Edge, Edinburgh, Cambridge England) I seem to remember that people mostly lunched out but made their own tea or coffee in the office (but I spent so little time at the UK offices other than Alderley that my memory of them might well be wrong).

Tom

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/24/2016)

But then again, going out for Caffè in London is like going for a Pub in NYC, futile exercise

Well, my experience suggests there's plenty of good Caffè in London, at least in restaurants. Admittedly it's a a bit over 7 years since I worked in London, but I knew a large number of Italian restaurants that servered decent caffè (but only if they knew that you wanted Italian coffee, rather than English coffee or - heaven help us - American coffee). Italian restaurants on or near the Strand, or around Covent Garden or Bloomsbury, in Mayfair, even one or two in unfashionable areas not too far from Victoria Railway Station. Of course I only drink the stuff with meals, so if going out for Caffè doesn't include food probably the places I drank it at back then wouldn't count.

Tom

• Hope people had a good Thanksgiving in the US, or a quiet day elsewhere.

Another day off for me, so I'm enjoying it after a quick check.

For Redgate, we have great coffee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOR_Y82bZCQ&feature=youtu.be

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/23/2016)

Luis Cazares (11/23/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/23/2016)

robert.sterbal 56890 (11/23/2016)

What is on your menu for Thanksgiving?

Can you share any recipes?

Our family will be having Thanksgiving at my wife's parents with turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, maple walnut sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, bread, pumpkin and pecan pies on the menu.

Going gluten free this year with my daughter trying to eat healthier. I had to find these two desserts. No idea how they'll go.

https://gfjules.com/recipes/easy-gluten-free-fruit-cobbler-recipe/

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-pumpkin-pie/

Gluten isn't unhealthy, it's just an allergen.

Yes, but she has some level of intolerance, so it causes some health issues. Hence, we're all moving away for a bit.

So does my wife, so cooking has been a bit different around my house for the past few months. It's possible to do it, but can be difficult, depending on what you like to eat as a family.

Check out some other flours, being considerate of what other sensitivities she has. There most prevalent ones are rice and almond, but there's a lot more out there.

• Sean Lange (11/23/2016)

robert.sterbal 56890 (11/23/2016)

What is on your menu for Thanksgiving?

Can you share any recipes?

Our family will be having Thanksgiving at my wife's parents with turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, maple walnut sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, bread, pumpkin and pecan pies on the menu.

Mostly the standard fair but I also have a second turkey for the smoker and a bacon explosion. One big difference between the one found there and mine is you will never find me putting bbq sauce on anything. For me bbq sauce is a condiment, not an ingredient. The one exception to that rule being meatloaf. And of course we can't forget my signature peanut butter pie. 😛

Thanksgiving dinner at my house was an event. I brined a 20-pound turkey for 10 hours and then spatchcocked it for cooking. I will never do a conventional turkey again...it was that good. We also had:

Dressing (my own recipe)

Mashed potatoes (plus garlic, butter and heavy cream)

Three different gravies (normal, gluten-free and gluten-free with giblets)

Green beans (my variation of a generations-old recipe handed down from German ancestors)

Glazed carrots

Corn bread

Banana bread (my own recipe)

Cheesecake

Pumpkin pie

Nothing was from a box, but keep in mind that I enjoy cooking. Having the time off at Thanksgiving gives me the opportunity to go all-out. It was a food-fest for 10 family members and was just a good time overall.

• TomThomson (11/24/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/24/2016)

But then again, going out for Caffè in London is like going for a Pub in NYC, futile exercise

Well, my experience suggests there's plenty of good Caffè in London, at least in restaurants. Admittedly it's a a bit over 7 years since I worked in London, but I knew a large number of Italian restaurants that servered decent caffè (but only if they knew that you wanted Italian coffee, rather than English coffee or - heaven help us - American coffee). Italian restaurants on or near the Strand, or around Covent Garden or Bloomsbury, in Mayfair, even one or two in unfashionable areas not too far from Victoria Railway Station. Of course I only drink the stuff with meals, so if going out for Caffè doesn't include food probably the places I drank it at back then wouldn't count.

You may find it stunning, but it is possible for Americans to make good coffee. It isn't like coffee is grown in Italy, England or America anyway. It's all about the beans, the roast, the machine and the person making it.

• Ed Wagner (11/26/2016)

TomThomson (11/24/2016)

You may find it stunning, but it is possible for Americans to make good coffee. It isn't like coffee is grown in Italy, England or America anyway. It's all about the beans, the roast, the machine and the person making it.

You are right Ed, I've had very good coffee in USA, finding it used to be a real challenge but it is getting more and more common, this summer in Manhattan there were a handful of good Coffee shops around. Same goes for the UK, I can get a good Caffè in quite few places. But and there is always a but, good is not the same as proper (read perfect).

😎

• For Thanksgiving got Thursday and Friday off. So of course logged in on Friday to run index rebuilds. 🙂

Meal at nieces on Wednesday had store bought turkey but the sides were home cooked. Nice to see everyone.

Thursday got meals from local restaurant that were good.

As to coffee in the office. I do not drink coffee so I do not know what they have.

However the "executive" kitchen has soda in the refrigerator and a coffee machine that use the little cups. General kitchen has two brewed carafes, a cold drink vending machine and a junk food vending machine. There is no cafe and it takes about five minutes (or more) to drive to a restaurant. 🙁

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/24/2016)

Unfortunately, I've found the English coffee culture being almost no better than the American, totally inadequate, must say that it's not my cup of tea. Have resorted to Percol instant Espresso when too lazy/busy to walk to the next proper Italian Caffè, Caffè Vergnano 1882 which is in my mind the best in London.

😎

BTW: it does take me about 90 seconds to get there from the office:-D

I love that the idiom you picked was completely on topic. Literally LOL'ed. :w00t:

Chad

• My daughter grinds beans each morning for her french press and froths milk. She usually makes enough to give me a cup 😉

• Chad Crawford (11/28/2016)

Unfortunately, I've found the English coffee culture being almost no better than the American, totally inadequate, must say that it's not my cup of tea. Have resorted to Percol instant Espresso when too lazy/busy to walk to the next proper Italian Caffè, Caffè Vergnano 1882 which is in my mind the best in London.

😎

BTW: it does take me about 90 seconds to get there from the office:-D

I love that the idiom you picked was completely on topic. Literally LOL'ed. :w00t:

Chad

He he he, couldn't resist as it is so true:-D

😎

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2016)

My daughter grinds beans each morning for her french press and froths milk. She usually makes enough to give me a cup 😉

Sounds like you raised a good set of children!

My daughter grinds beans each morning for her french press and froths milk. She usually makes enough to give me a cup 😉

I have a whole pile of points on my company's incentive scheme that I can turn into vouchers for some local online stores. One thing I'm going to get myself is an Aeropress, since so many people raved about them.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

I've not heard a cafetiere called a French press before, but I have made extensive use of a different French press[/url]. These gadgets force cell suspensions through a small aperture. The pressure difference as they emerge (IIRC a ton or two per square inch) causes them to burst. If you get the conditions just right with bacterial cells they actually turn inside out, either wholly or in part as vesicles, releasing their contents and capturing the suspending fluid as they fold over and reseal.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• GilaMonster (11/28/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2016)

I have a whole pile of points on my company's incentive scheme that I can turn into vouchers for some local online stores. One thing I'm going to get myself is an Aeropress, since so many people raved about them.

Have you looked at Handpresso?

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 56,806 through 56,820 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply