Are the posted questions getting worse?

• It's with the Hobbit included.

I'll probably read all those SQL Server 2012 books first that come out in the following months, and then LOTR.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/19/2012)

100 books? I'm glad I can read 2 on a whole year (technical books not included).

Don't get me wrong, I love to read (read the whole Dexter series last year), I just can't find the time.

I have the Lord of the Rings saga waiting for me, but I never get around to start reading them.

Maybe it's the little kids who take away time and energy? I usually just stick to comic books and graphic novels, they read pretty fast πŸ™‚

I've read The Hobbit, enjoyed it. Just can't seem to read The Lord of the Rings, I get to Rivendale and that is it. That's about half way through the first book. I don't know why, but it seems like work just to get there.

Now, the Dune books, starting with the original trilogy, those I read with no problem.

100 books? I'm glad I can read 2 on a whole year (technical books not included).

Don't get me wrong, I love to read (read the whole Dexter series last year), I just can't find the time.

I have the Lord of the Rings saga waiting for me, but I never get around to start reading them.

Maybe it's the little kids who take away time and energy? I usually just stick to comic books and graphic novels, they read pretty fast πŸ™‚

I read around 60 to 70 books a year, I'd say. I kept track a year or two ago and it was around that. I'd probably read more if it weren't for also reading graphic novels, 15-30 comics a week and the internet.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Lynn Pettis (7/19/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (7/19/2012)

I've read The Hobbit, enjoyed it. Just can't seem to read The Lord of the Rings, I get to Rivendale and that is it. That's about half way through the first book. I don't know why, but it seems like work just to get there.

Now, the Dune books, starting with the original trilogy, those I read with no problem.

I simply cannot get into Dune, I bog down like a car in loose sand. Same with another frequently recommended book: Snow Crash, just can't get past the first few pages.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Enjoyed The Hobbit.

Did get a little stuck with LOR, but worth it in the end.

Haven't read any other Tolkien books though.

Ran through the first three Dune books, took a while to get round to the other three. But really liked the whole series / arc.

Rodders...

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/19/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/19/2012)

I simply cannot get into Dune, I bog down like a car in loose sand. Same with another frequently recommended book: Snow Crash, just can't get past the first few pages.

Dune's a rough read until it gets going, and then bogs down again in book 4 and never really gets going again. I muscled through it simply because I wanted to see where he was trying to take it, but yeah.. It was like reading about Ender after Speaker for the Dead.

Does re-reading old favorites count as reading a book this year? πŸ™‚ Probably not, I know which boring parts to skip... πŸ˜‰

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Bleh, yet another 3rd party database I have to connect to that has a terrible design. Examples? They begin every table name with "t" and then include the table name in every field name. Also fun, some table names are singular, some are plural. And that's just naming convention problems, the partially normalized tables are something else altogether.

• Speaking of reading material... A few other SFWA members have offered some free books (some print, some ebooks) as part of the "Donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund" contest. More details can be found on my new blog post here.

Or, for those who don't trust clickable links, here: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/59015.html

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Evil Kraig F (7/19/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/19/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/19/2012)

Dune's a rough read until it gets going, and then bogs down again in book 4 and never really gets going again. I muscled through it simply because I wanted to see where he was trying to take it, but yeah.. It was like reading about Ender after Speaker for the Dead.

Does re-reading old favorites count as reading a book this year? πŸ™‚ Probably not, I know which boring parts to skip... πŸ˜‰

AFTER Speaker for the Dead? Oh, you meant after you read the title and flipped the page, got ya...

speaking of which, can't wait to see how they ruin the story in the movie.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Evil Kraig F (7/19/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/19/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/19/2012)

Currently re-reading the Dune series myself. I would agree, the first three are decent, then it starts to go downhill. I can *just* barely recall the plot of Chapterhouse, which to me indicates it isn't that memorable of a book. I did read several of the books that were written by other authors, and when I go through my shelves next time on a book-donating binge, am going to pull them for donations. They just weren't that interesting, plus in looking back on them, they seemed to try to cram to much "history" into too short a time-frame. It almost feels like the Butlerian Jihad only ended a handful of years before the start of Dune...

It's not 100 all the time, and little kids (infants) made that lower. Course, I did read when they slept, often on my chest.

When they could spend time at the playground, I read there.

I've read 50 lots of years,I think about 70 last year. This year, it's a higher pace.

• I likely said this here last time we were talking about books, but if anyone likes fantasy, I highly recommend the author A. Lee Martinez. Fantastic stuff. One thing I really love is that he doesn't do what most authors these days do and create one universe and stick to it. Every book is a completely new universe. Some of his stuff is SF, but most is fantasy. All are funny and serious at the same time.

• So - my day so far...

Reviewing a create database script for a major third party product that we're moving from a collection of Access databases to a centralized SQL database, (don't ask why it got deployed that way in the first place) and finding the creation of a special stored proc called sp_shrinkdb.

Yup. You can guess what that does.

And no information on required privileges for the service account in sight.

The guy who owns that piece of software is kindly contacting the support team for me.

This was closely followed by another situation that is going to involve me scrambling to write a new interface for one of our developers, where due to circumstances completely beyond my control I'm going to have enough time to try to put a wrapper around a really ugly piece of existing code so the dev team can make a go-live date that everyone forgot to tell me about and then re-write the guts later. (I'm grateful that I can even do that much for them in the time I've got - but I'm not completely sure that the wrapper I'm building will survive anything remotely looking like stress testing.)

And a few other annoyances.

I am very, very happy right now that I am a) employed by a great company, b) work with a great team who understand when they've just made my life difficult, and c) love my job. Because those things are offsetting my current frustration.

Of course, writing this, I start thinking about Tom and his family, and some of the other folks I know going through some really major issues right now, and that helps put everything back into proper perspective.

-Ki

• On a totally different note, I recently started on a new job as DBA/DBD and I'm a bit surprised of some restrictions in this shop.

Out of curiosity, does any of you administer instances without ANY rights on the windows machine?

And, please, anyone tell me how to administer a cluster without permissions on the cluster itself. How am I supposed to fail-over the instances if I can't reach the cluster admin snap-in?

I asked to be granted those permissions and I've been told that only sysadmins can have administrative rights on the servers.

Weird, I always thought a DBA was a sysadmin, or a least kind of. I suppose I've always been wrong.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (7/19/2012)

On a totally different note, I recently started on a new job as DBA/DBD and I'm a bit surprised of some restrictions in this shop.

Out of curiosity, does any of you administer instances without ANY rights on the windows machine?

And, please, anyone tell me how to administer a cluster without permissions on the cluster itself. How am I supposed to fail-over the instances if I can't reach the cluster admin snap-in?

I asked to be granted those permissions and I've been told that only sysadmins can have administrative rights on the servers.

Weird, I always thought a DBA was a sysadmin, or a least kind of. I suppose I've always been wrong.

I have been in that type of environment. Even to the point of having no access to SQL Server other than through SSMS. It makes it very difficult as the DBA to do everything you need.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 36,946 through 36,960 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply