Any benefit in installing SSAS into it's own SQL instance rather than as a feature of the DB Engine instance?

• Hi all
    I've never known whether there is any real difference installing SSAS as it's own named instance, as opposed to just adding it as a feature of an existing DB engine instance. Any benefits to keeping them separate?

Thanks
    Doodles

• Your question as-is really can't be fairly answered.  Generally though, putting the 2 services on different servers is going to be best from a performance stand point.  However, that's just a general statement.  You really need to consider activity on each. 

Make sure you understand how much memory you're going to need.  If you're going SSAS Tabular, everything will need to fit into memory and then you should probably double that.  There are lots of resources out there to help you figure this out.  You should also consider how much memory your relational databases are going to need.  

IMO, putting the 2 on different servers is generally the best option if you are able to do so.

• Yes, you would want to separate church from state here. It's best practice to separate them because SSAS is essentially another database that should be getting it's own set of resources versus fighting for them or most importantly, impacting other services. For example, management becomes easier. If the underlying system is impacted, it's not impacting both services at the same time such as patches, restarts, etc.

SSAS in the cloud is setup exactly that way now too I do believe. The only question is whether you break up your SSAS services by client, brand, project, etc.

• Thanks for coming back to me guys. I agree it makes sense to keep things separate where possible...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply