AlwaysOn and DR testing

• Guys,

With a system set up that has AlwaysOn groups configured with a number of databases that may or may not be related - and one of the systems requires a DR test can this be done with out impacting the other systems ?

My thinking is that it can not be done. Also I do not want a AlwaysOn group for every database.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Refer this excellent article which is self-explanatory.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/FCI/92196/

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Ford Fairlane (3/25/2014)

Guys,

With a system set up that has AlwaysOn groups configured with a number of databases that may or may not be related - and one of the systems requires a DR test can this be done with out impacting the other systems ?

My thinking is that it can not be done. Also I do not want a AlwaysOn group for every database.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What solution are you using for DR ? And all Dbs or only some of them are going to be involved in the DR test ?

--

SQLBuddy

• DR is different for different application. Some are only using the WFC for HA and not worried about DR others are using the AlwaysOn groups for DR. Now I have 3 or 4 different systems in one AlwaysOn group yet only one of the systems wants to test its DR capabilities.

Can this be done with out affecting the other databases in the group. I don't think so, if if this is the case what would be the best way to test DR for an individual system in a AlwaysOn group ?

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Ford Fairlane (3/26/2014)

DR is different for different application. Some are only using the WFC for HA and not worried about DR others are using the AlwaysOn groups for DR. Now I have 3 or 4 different systems in one AlwaysOn group yet only one of the systems wants to test its DR capabilities.

Can this be done with out affecting the other databases in the group. I don't think so, if if this is the case what would be the best way to test DR for an individual system in a AlwaysOn group ?

No, that's not possible. It's only possible to failover the whole group not individual Dbs within the group. When you design Always ON groups, you should always group similar DBs not dissimilar ones.

To do that either you need to create AGs for separate DBs or configure DB Mirroring\Logshipping for individual DBs for the DR strategy.

--

SQLBuddy

• As expected ...

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply