Active Monitor?

• I do not know how to do that, sorry. Please explain.

Thank you.

• Open a new query editor window. (CTRL + N)

Type this:

EXEC sp_WhoIsActive

Hit F5

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Good morning everyone. I managed to run the procedure, my problem now is that i get a total different output from the procedure than that of activity monitor. I mean that in activity monitor i get a large amount of processes running instead of the whoisactive from which i get 2 or 3. Is that normal? Please advice. Thank you.

• The ones returned by sp_WhoIsActive are the ones that are actually running or holding open transactions.

Activity monitor shows all sessions.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I find activity monitor to be a good overview of what's going on my system. I use whoisactive after that to view the transactions that have been running for a long time, and exactly how long they have been running.

You can filter out sessions that arent active in activity monitor by clicking the drop down arrow at the top of the task state column and selecting 'non blanks'. this will filter out idle sessions.

• Hello, I am very happy cause i made it and now i know where and how to look for bad queries!

Thank you all for your precious time and answers of course.

One last question.

How can i have a column with the ip of the workstation that has opened the process? Can this be done?

Thank you.

• EXEC sp_who2 will give you the HostName where the query is running from. Then you can open a CMD prompt and issue a Ping HostName to get the IP address.

• Going back to the OP for a moment, everyone connecting with the sa user is a problem. This means that they can do literally anything on the SQL Server with pesky stuff like permissions getting in their way. I know it'll be a pain to get under control, but I think that it's a worthwhile undertaking.

• anthismanos (12/12/2014)

It has to do that im completely noob.

Done that, it was so simple, but in

the output window it says : stub version, to be replaced.

Thank you people, you're great.

Guys i receive the same output from WhoIsActive.. "stub version, to be replaced"

What should i do?

• It looks like the stored procedure was not created correctly.

Do not attempt to run the .sql file directly from Adam's .zip archive: extract it to a temp folder and open the file, then execute it. I know that it sounds illogical, but it's worth trying. Another option is copying all the text from the open .sql file from the archive and paste it to a new query editor window for running.

Try this and let us know if it worked.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thanks for your answer , i copied it into a folder on Desktop of the server which is running SQL server, and i run it in my SSMS. i ran as it comes from the Adam's zip file,

without touching anything...

the stored procedure appeard under Programmability/Stored Procedures,

when i launch it , it give the following output:

"stub version, to be replaced"

i very need it to troubleshoot SUSPENDED queries on this server 🙁 🙁

EDIT: i found the problem.. i created it in another DB and not in master DB.. thanks to Gianluca! very available and kind person!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply