A Reporting System Architecture

• Neat gun collection too 🙂 I'd bet those surly developer types don't give you a lot of crap :w00t:

• lol

yeah. I usually leave em at home.

thanks again

GAJ

Gregory A Jackson MBA, CSM

• Great Post!

Any thoughts on the best architecture for creating a standby instance for reporting? Our prod database is over 800GB.

Reporting requirements are during business hours (8:00-5:00).

Log Shipping?

Thank you!

KU

• Yeah It would depend on the requirements for the reporting environment (mostly the lag time that is acceptable).

LogShipping would be a great solution in most cases.

gaj

• Thread resurrection time 😎

Great article... this has been an issue at every place I have worked!

Anyone got experience with the larger DB side of things? Our PROD server is 700GBs. Requirements would be very little (if any) "lag" between the PROD and REPORTING. What would the ideal solution be (no real budget constraints)?

My thoughts are pretty much leaning towards transactional replication. Are there other options I should be considering?

• Good Morning....

thanks for the comment.

You could use Trnxn-Replication to copy the data to your staging server and then SSIS to ETL the data from the staging server to you reporting DB.

Mirroring could work too, depending on exact requirements and how often you wanteed to back up your transaction logs.

Hope this helps...

GAJ

• GregoryAJackson (10/6/2010)

Good Morning....

thanks for the comment.

You could use Trnxn-Replication to copy the data to your staging server and then SSIS to ETL the data from the staging server to you reporting DB.

Mirroring could work too, depending on exact requirements and how often you wanteed to back up your transaction logs.

Hope this helps...

GAJ

Im leaning more towards replication, because of the low latency. Log shipping would not work because of the latency. Not sure about the mirror (and snap) approach, I need to do this to 700GBs worth of data.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply