10 Good Things About Reporting Services 2008 R2

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item 10 Good Things About Reporting Services 2008 R2

Andy is a director of Wise Owl[/url], a UK company providing training courses (and occasional consultancy) in SQL, Reporting Services, Integration Services and Analysis Services, as well as in many other Microsoft software applications. You can see more about Wise Owl's SQL Server training courses here[/url].

• Nice article, but the link to the sister article doesn't work.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I guess the sister article maybe isn't online yet. After all, the article is the first of a two-part series.

I'm looking forward to the other part 🙂

• I've been told that the sister article will be published tomorrow (Tuesday 6th September), so it might be worth postponing comments till that.

Andy

Andy is a director of Wise Owl[/url], a UK company providing training courses (and occasional consultancy) in SQL, Reporting Services, Integration Services and Analysis Services, as well as in many other Microsoft software applications. You can see more about Wise Owl's SQL Server training courses here[/url].

• Can't wait for the 10 bad things article - because I had the displeasure of having to integrate it into our product using custom authentication with clients using the Report Builder :angry:

• Great article. I'd give it 10/10.

Cheers

...One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that ones work is terribly important.... Bertrand Russell

• It's a good article, though I would have like to seen more on shared data sets, which personally I think are the biggest inclusion. Well done!

• Shared datasets - hmm, have a look at the downside of SSRS (coming out tomorrow)!

Andy

• Indicators

I really like the new indicators. I recently used them in a new financial report to quickly draw attention to troubled accounts. The thing I didn't like is that they seem to slow the report down. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that the way the server gets the images and renders them on the report is inefficient. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!!

• I would say the overall presentation options are the best additions/changes for 2008 R2.

The indicators are really nice and the charts are SOOOO much better than before. Adding ing Dundas guages and maps is a big plus too. Hopefully mapping will be even better in the next version as I have found substantial limitations with it.

Not really a fan of shared data sets although I understand why they added that feature. For standardized reports where things like drop down lists are constantly being reused then I see the benefit. However, I have always found it more sensible to control this on the back end through stored procs. Then people working in different projects still use the same data sets. Using shared data sets is great for sharing throughout an SSRS project but unless you sink up your project with the rest of the team and share those objects then you run the risk of not using the exact same code. I have also noticed that you have to deploy the shared data sets separately from the rdl which can become cumbersome when you have multiple sets per report.

• Nice first list of improvements.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Have we heard anything about shared data sets?

I would like more information about that. Seems pretty important on the new update.

Chris is the owner of several businesses including Best Barbershop in Surprse and Best Pool Cleaner in Scottsdale

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply