Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

TomThomson

Last active: 15 hours ago
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Connections

Followers

Following

TomThomson is not following anyone

SSChampion

SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)
Gold achievements 0 Silver achievements 0 Bronze achievements 0
11,407 reputation
6.9K posts
0 followers

Basic

Full name
Not provided

Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote, Spain and Congleton, UK.

Birthday
5th November

About

Tagline
Not provided

Interests
Music, song, singing, gaelic poetry, computers, databases, declarative languages, natural languages and linguistics, science fiction and fantasy.

Biography
Educated in state schools, learning French, German, Latin (for exams) and some Italian and Russian (not for exams), then studied maths at Oxford University, worked briefly at RHEL, researched mathematical logic and set theory at Bristol University and drifted fairly accidentally into computer science when English Electrics NRL wanted someone who knew a bit about formal semantics and syntax for computer language work and I was just finishing writing up my work on the semantics of infinitary logical calculi, and neither NRL nor I had a clue how far apart these two fields were, so that I ended up working there and learning a whole new game (my previous computer experience was limited to writing ad hoc programs in assembler(s) and/or Fortran.) Then back to academia, researching and lecturing at UEA - information retrieval research, programming lectures, and doing some programming work on molecular geometry. Thats where I first became interested in the organisation of data for searching. Academia didnt pay enough, so off to CTL to work on their shiny new OS and learn about hardware, and from there to ICL in Scotland to work initially on data communications - front end processors and network gear - which found me doing quite a bit of maths, mostly queuing theory but also this newfangled relational theory coming out of IBM and other things; then on to ICL in England to take over mainframe data comms software (this was a come and rescue call) then take charge of architecture and programme management for all datacomms and interworking and get involved in all sorts of advanced technology bits and pieces (logic programming, functional languages, file system and database design, process languages, and so on) before moving to yet another ICL site and working on fifth generation systems, working out how to build a relational database system (with no sign of SQL - after all, it was relational and sql wasnt) to run as a massively parallel database on a distributed graph reduction engine, designing extensions to Hope to make Hope+ (now known as Hope - the additions took firm root) into a feasible systems programming language. And then on to various pan-European projects collaborating with all sorts of wild and wooly academics and industrialists from all over Europe and trying to get everyone to sing from the same sheet, and dropping our relational principles and porting Ingres and Oracle OPS (Oracle were paranoid about IP, which was amusing) onto the parallel system. After ICL stopped doing that sort of research project I spent the next 3 years working at Harlequin (the CEO had been trying to recruit me for about 10 years, so it seemed the natural place to go after ICL) mostly working on a complete nightmare one of whose components was an OODBMS. From there to LinkGuard, trying to put together a 42TB database (parallel, of course - 42 servers) to map the internet; and when that was euthanased by the bursting of the internet bubble I moved on to Neos, to look at the databases, which the Ops Director knew were a mess, and quickly fix them; I ended up staying for 7 years because they kept on giving me extra responsibilities, and although the databases certainly improved they never did get properly fixed because I - and everyone else - was too busy solving bigger problems). Left there in July 2009 after getting a new team in Beirut up to speed doing all the development and most of the other technical work, and resolved never again to work more than four months in any one year - I had to promise my wife that or be nagged continually for the rest of my life; she was fed up with only seeing me now and again.Along the way I acquired a few professional qualifications: FEANI European Engineer, Chartered Mathematician, Chartered Engineer, Chartered IT practitioner,Fellow of IMA, Fellow of IET, Member of BCS.Masters degrees from: Oxford and Bristol Universities. Thesis: The Semantics of Infinitary Languages. I published a few research papers, mostly about database stuff, some in the ICL Technical Journal and others as Manchester University technical reports, but only because my employer pressured me to publish (Im too lazy to do much of that). And acquired patents on algorithms for deadlock detection in distributed database systems for ICL because that same employer who wanted me to publish wouldnt let me publish that article until I had patent applications in the system.I never acquired a single vendor certification and Im quite proud of that, perverse as it may seem.

Work

Company
Not provided
Position
Not provided
Skills
Not provided

Connect

Links
Website
Not provided
Blog