SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Fun with IDENTITY - Part I

Fun with IDENTITY - Part I

Author
Nakul Vachhrajani
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Fun with IDENTITY - Part I

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Good question. It would have been more difficult if there had been an option for 1-Boston;2-New Delhi
Dhruvesh Shah
Dhruvesh Shah
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)SSChasing Mays (653 reputation)

Agree. i thought that it's testing for identity column values. but still good question.
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I agree, nice question, but it would have been even better with a fourth option: 1-Boston;2-New Delhi

Without that option it was really a test of transactions, not of IDENTITY. (Maybe that was the point to through people off the scent?) ;-)
Chris Houghton
Chris Houghton
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)

Agreed, I was expecting it to be a trick question. A 2 New Delhi option would've made it less obvious. It is still good to be reminded that the identity column counter doesn't revert to the previous value when a transaction affecting it is rolled back.

Thanks
jts2013
jts2013
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I was looking for the catch - nice that for once it wasn't a trick question!
DugyC
DugyC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Good question but, regardless of whether it was a "deception" or to "throw people off the scent", the lesson was lost in the absence of the fourth option for "1 Boston, 2 New Delhi".

Just seems like a trick was missed, I imagine a lot of people may have gone for this fourth option and when it was pointed out they were wrong they'd learn more because they were focus'ed on why they got it wrong.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

thanks... got to learn something new today.. .:-)
NickDBA
NickDBA
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)SSC-Addicted (467 reputation)

Interesting to see in action that uncommitted transactions still affect the identity values. Nice.
cengland0
cengland0
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

jts_2003 (9/29/2010)
I was looking for the catch - nice that for once it wasn't a trick question!

Same here. I'm always looking for typos or some other trick.

Nice to see a straight-forward question for a change.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.