SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Change all of your database owners

Change all of your database owners

Author
@STLSQLGuy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Change all of your database owners

thanks, ERH

drwhitaker
drwhitaker
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

Worked Perfect !!!
Randall_M.
Randall_M.
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

I appreciate your script, but I've seen problems in SQL 2000 where the login that was the DB owner lost it's access rights after doing this and took down applications as a result. Have anyone had similar experiences and could you please comment on how you resolved it?
Thanks to all for your responses. :-)

Drive it like you stole it[size="4"][/size] w00t
JC-3113
JC-3113
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)

Hi E. Hendrix

I am not sure just what this script does. Does it generate the sql to make the change or does it actually make the change ?

Do you have sample output ?

Thanks
jim
drwhitaker
drwhitaker
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

This executes. I executed on a SQL Server 2005 database server with 5 databases and all "user" databases where changed to "sa".:-)
@STLSQLGuy
@STLSQLGuy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (172 reputation)

I agree you should know your application before you do this. In most cases this should not cause issues especially using SA. That is unless you have SQL Auth turned off then I'd suggest a service account that you use to start the SQL Server Service and/or Agent.
I do know that in older versions of sharepoint you may run into issues if sharepoint expects the database owner to be the same account that runs the sharepoint farm. In that case though you may have bigger issues since that would mean the person who left your company also owns your sharepoint web servers in the farm so good luck with that.

thanks, ERH

@STLSQLGuy
@STLSQLGuy
SSC-Enthusiastic

This one walks through each database, non-system, and changes the owner. You should simply see a list of your databases it executed against in your output.

I would suggest you run 'sp_helpdb' before you run this to capture the current owners....just in case you need to go back.

thanks, ERH

lee.kleckner 43077
lee.kleckner 43077
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

There are plans to remove sp_changedbowner. you can replace with
alter authorization on Database::"dbname" to "username"
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Thanks for the script.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.