Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL replication best practices in Amazon Cloud

SQL replication best practices in Amazon Cloud

Author
Srinath Mohan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
hi All,
I am trying to setup a SQL replication on single point of failure in cloud environment (Amazon EC2).
I need some good tips and multiple options to do the same. As it is in the cloud environment every MB of data is a cost to the company.
So my question here is, how to take an efficent backups or setup replication for a high volume database in a cloud environment.

All kind of help and tips are appreaciated.

Thanks,
Srinath
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Srinath Mohan (9/1/2010)
hi All,
I am trying to setup a SQL replication on single point of failure in cloud environment (Amazon EC2).
I need some good tips and multiple options to do the same. As it is in the cloud environment every MB of data is a cost to the company.
So my question here is, how to take an efficent backups or setup replication for a high volume database in a cloud environment.

The same way you do it when in co-location, managed hosting services or in-house hosting. Cloud is just a platform - SQL Server practices do not change based on underlying infrastructure.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
millytill
millytill
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I stumbled upon this old thread while looking for some help with sql and cloud: Maybe someone is still watching? I'm currently looking into cloud solutions for mysql, and I found this sql cloud platform. Even though you say replication should be the same, I am still encountering some difficulties. Are there any inherent differenced I need to take into account when going from remote to cloud? Would the replication process be much slower in this sort of environment? Thanks, M
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.