SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL 2008 & 2005 DDL Auditing - Full Server Self Maintaining Solution

SQL 2008 & 2005 DDL Auditing - Full Server Self Maintaining Solution

Author
Sean Elliott (UK)
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL 2008 & 2005 DDL Auditing - Full Server Self Maintaining Solution
Jurgen-494374
Jurgen-494374
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

is renaming an object (sp_rename) also audited ?
Sean Elliott (UK)
Sean Elliott (UK)
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)Say Hey Kid (708 reputation)

SQL2008 Yes
SQL2005 No
shaun.stuart
shaun.stuart
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

This is genius!! Testing it out now. Thanks!
Sean Elliott (UK)
Sean Elliott (UK)
Say Hey Kid

You may need some additional permissions/config if your server does not already have them:

exec sp_configure ‘show advanced options’, 1
exec sp_configure ‘Agent XPs’, 1

For reasons unknown you may also need to add exec permissions explicitly to server_audit user in the master database for:

xp_sqlagent_is_starting
xp_sqlagent_notify

Both of these xp are called by sp_start_job and server_audit should have implicit exec permission via membership of msdb SQLAgentOperatorRole and cross db ownership chaining (always on for msdb and master). In general I have not needed to add these permissions but on some SQL2005 servers (so far) I have needed to. Seems strange because as far as I can see the DDL code is the same and so are the permissions.
SamElston
SamElston
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

Where are these scripts !?

install_ddl_auditing.sql and uninstall_ddl_auditing.sql

I unzipped the 2008 files - and seem to be missing major components !??

thanks
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)

Thanks for the article. I will need to bookmark this and look over it a few more times.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

jonathanmoss98
jonathanmoss98
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

I tried this out, and fell over at the second step, given I did not have a dbadata database already existing in my environment. I could run the 'install' script but not the 'enable' script on SQL 2005.

Once I manually created the dbadata database, and reran the 'install' script I could continue all OK!

Is this requirement for the dbadata database to already exist an omission, or an is it an assumption that you would manually create the dbadata database first?

If it's an omission, then can I please recommend it is added to the doc, as this is an extremely useful post that saved me and my colleague a lot of time and wasted energy. :-D

Regards, Jonathan
Sean Elliott (UK)
Sean Elliott (UK)
Say Hey Kid

It already explains in the article that dbadata database needs to exist in advance. Alternatively you can globally replace dbadata with another "dba database" you already have on the server.
Sean Elliott (UK)
Sean Elliott (UK)
Say Hey Kid

Sorry Sam but you are mistaken. All the scripts are in the zip file and always were.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.