SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL 6.5 and Y2K

SQL 6.5 and Y2K

Author
sjimmo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Had to really dig through the cob webs on this one. Great piece of triviaRolleyes

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Study the past if you would divine the future. ~Confucius
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

wware (8/13/2010)
Study the past if you would divine the future. ~Confucius

Good point.
I'll bookmark this page in readiness for 2100 :-)
jeff.mason
jeff.mason
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Come on -- historical questions can be fun, even if they don't mean anything about today's environment!

And good lord, I got it right because I did have to deal with that once upon a time. Supported an app that needed Y2K upgrades in those days, so I pretty much memorized all of the core MS Y2K stuff for things like Office and SQL Server that I interacted with.
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

I still had one production server which is still running on 6.5 version and one on 7.0 version. Still, HR dept. wants to keep their data in 6.5 only.

I call it Jewel in the Crown as its one between 29 servers on 2005 and 6 on 2008 version.;-)

SQL DBA.
Oleg Netchaev
Oleg Netchaev
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Nice question, thank you. I did not have to work with 6.5, because at the place of my employment we did not use SQL Server until, according to Microsoft developers, last line of Sybase code was removed from the product (thus giving birth to 100 percent Microsoft SQL Server 7 and initiating the party to celebrate the event). What I find amazing is that it is still easy to find some documentation about it. Here is the quote from TechNet Library -> TechNet Archive -> The Mole: Inside Microsoft -> The Mole # 5:

Yes, yes, yes, you can apply Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 5 to the Microsoft Small Business Server to make it fully Y2K compliant. While versions of SQL Server 6.5 SP2, SP3, and SP4 are compliant with minor issues, SP5 should provide complete adherence to our Y2K standards. This being the case, you can tell your clients a dumb joke (A man walked into a bar. Ouch!) Or simply urge them to have a nice day.

Oleg
rjv_rnjn
rjv_rnjn
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)

cengland0 (8/13/2010)
Although I did get the answer right, I had to pick the closest response to the correct answer.

Technically, it was version 6.50.339 that fixed the Y2K issue. Then, Service Pack 5 came out (version 6.50.415) which was defective and you shouldn't have used it. Then, Service Pack 5a (version 6.50.416) released.

So, you could have fixed the Y2K problem before the release of SP5a if you installed the "Y2K" hot fix to the 6.50.281 (SP4) or 6.50.297 versions.

Wow
Do we have a quorum in the forum to recommend awarding @cengland0 an extra point? :-D
Tom Garth
Tom Garth
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

rjv_rnjn (8/13/2010)
cengland0 (8/13/2010)
Although I did get the answer right, I had to pick the closest response to the correct answer.

Technically, it was version 6.50.339 that fixed the Y2K issue. Then, Service Pack 5 came out (version 6.50.415) which was defective and you shouldn't have used it. Then, Service Pack 5a (version 6.50.416) released.

So, you could have fixed the Y2K problem before the release of SP5a if you installed the "Y2K" hot fix to the 6.50.281 (SP4) or 6.50.297 versions.

Wow
Do we have a quorum in the forum to recommend awarding @cengland0 an extra point? :-D
That depends on whether he remembered it or if he researched it. If he researched it, then he definitely gets an extra point. If he merely remembered it, then all he gets are the points we will be removing from all who thought this QotD was POINTless.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Adi Cohn
Adi Cohn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

CirquedeSQLeil (8/13/2010)
I actually remember this one. Thanks for the question. Would you believe that there are still some installs of 6.5 out there in the world?

5 years ago I was working at a company that I’ve found one SQL Server 6.5. Wonder if they still have it:-)

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
Bex
Bex
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I remembered this one. Y2k Seems like a lifetime ago now!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.