SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Basic

Basic

Author
OCTom
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
"The most commonly used character encoding on the World Wide Web was US-ASCII[9] until December 2007, when it was surpassed by UTF-8.[10][11][12]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

My gut told me the answer was going to be ASCII because it sounded like a Tech-100 beginners class question. :-)
Richard M.
Richard M.
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

I always chuckle when Wikipedia is cited as a reference. Wkipedia, although a nice place to look up stuff (you basically find anything you are looking for), is not always a reliable source, in fact, it is prohibited to be used as a reference in colleges and some schools.
Not to say that the information provided is not correct. There's plenty of instances where you find proper source citation to make it perfectly valid and reliable.

This just reminds me of a Dilbert strip :-)

SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

It's a valid answer and if there actually is supporting documentation for any of the answers, then someone please post it. I doubt that you will find it.

I knew the answer I was going to select before I saw the list, and I got a chuckle out of seeing BCD on the list.

Good Friday QotD. Thanks.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Interesting question. Thanks

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)

Richard M. (8/6/2010)
I always chuckle when Wikipedia is cited as a reference. Wkipedia, although a nice place to look up stuff (you basically find anything you are looking for), is not always a reliable source, in fact, it is prohibited to be used as a reference in colleges and some schools.
Not to say that the information provided is not correct. There's plenty of instances where you find proper source citation to make it perfectly valid and reliable.

My daughters can't use Wikipedia as a source in their schools, but I tell them it can still be a starting point leading you to more reliable sources that can be used.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Richard M.
Richard M.
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Lynn Pettis (8/6/2010)
Richard M. (8/6/2010)

My daughters can't use Wikipedia as a source in their schools, but I tell them it can still be a starting point leading you to more reliable sources that can be used.

Exactly my point. At least it can give you some idea on how to deepen the search and in some cases also following some sources is helpful Wink

SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

For anyone that says Unicode, I ask, which one?

UTF-8
UTF-16 (BE by default)
UTF-16BE
UTF-16LE
UTF-32 (BE by default)
UTF-32BE
UTF-32LE

Or, perhaps, late 90's (very archaic) implementations like UCS-2 (used in SQL Server as 'Unicode')?
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Nadrek (8/9/2010)
For anyone that says Unicode, I ask, which one?

UTF-8
UTF-16 (BE by default)
UTF-16BE
UTF-16LE
UTF-32 (BE by default)
UTF-32BE
UTF-32LE

Or, perhaps, late 90's (very archaic) implementations like UCS-2 (used in SQL Server as 'Unicode')?

Does it matter?
For me UTF-16, any endian. Or any other, distinguished by BOM.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
David Conn
David Conn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Have only just got to this question.

My thoughts: How do you measure "Most Common" ?

Is it how may many Computers use it ? Probably ASCII because of the PC.

Is it how much Data is stored in the Format ? How do you measure the enormous amount of data on IBM Mainframes stored in EBCDIC ?

Is Unicode that Popular ? I usually avoid it where possible in favour of 8 bit ASCII.
Dietmar Weickert
Dietmar Weickert
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Oh what a shortsighted question! Sad

ASCII is a US only standard, hardly usable anywhere else. Ever thought about Europe? Do you really think the French, German, Scandinavian, Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Croatian, Polish, Baltic, Rumanian, Hungarian, Finish, Spanish, Portuguese people could do anything with their computers if they just used ASCII? And they have at least the Latin alphabet!

So what about the several hundred millions of people with Cyrillic alphabet? Do you really think they could use their computers if they had ASCII as the only foundation for coding their text data? And how about Asia? China probably outnumbers both all ASCII users and ASCII data volumes used anywhere in the world, and the Japanese numbers are amazing as well.

Both ASCII and EBCDIC are foundations for better systems at best. The first try was the ISO 8859 family of character sets; it still proofed to be insufficient. Meanwhile Unicode is there and becomes more and more mature. The fact that Microsoft (almost) fully supports Unicode in its modern Windows variants might make Unicode the character set used both by most users and for most data already. Of course you will find the 128 ASCII characters there as well - somewhere among the 100,000 others... :-)

Best regards,
Dietmar Weickert.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.