SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Round up or down I

Round up or down I

Author
Dave62
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question. Had to jump start the grey matter first thing in the morning to get this one.

I especially appreciated all the neatly terminated statements. Wink
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

I learned this the hard way. It happened to me twice before I finally filed it away in the long term memory. Nice question, thanks.
Ujar
Ujar
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (191 reputation)

oops..i did wrong..

Learned new point today and is,

Don't think how it is small..think is it correct or not?

Thanks..
cengland0
cengland0
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

ronmoses (8/3/2010)
Yep, I've been bitten by that one more than once. Until you learn that int/int "gotcha" it can be nearly impossible to troubleshoot a script that is experiencing it. Good question.

Unfortunately, this gets me all the time. I know about the issue, I know the workarounds but it still fails to sink in until after I run the query and don't get the expected results. I failed again when answering the QOTD.
mtillman-921105
mtillman-921105
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I think that this "feature" should be changed. Just because two numbers are integers, why assume the answer should also be an integer? Angry

SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

mtillman-921105 (8/3/2010)
I think that this "feature" should be changed. Just because two numbers are integers, why assume the answer should also be an integer? Angry

I would like to disagree with this. The "feature" happens to be default, consistent behaviour in many programming languages. Try this is C#:

int i = 5, j = 3;
Console.WriteLine(i / j);

The above happily prints 1 to the console window. Why would anyone think that T-SQL should behave differently?

Very good question Hugo, thank you. It does not happen too often to be able to answer your QotD right off the bat without thinking much. :-)

Oleg
Michael Poppers
Michael Poppers
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Oleg Netchaev (8/3/2010)

I would like to disagree with this. The "feature" happens to be default, consistent behaviour in many programming languages. Try this is C#:

int i = 5, j = 3;

The above happily prints 1 to the console window. Why would anyone think that T-SQL should behave differently?

<<snip>>

Oleg

The difference, Oleg, is that the 1st argument to ROUND() is a NUMERIC. I would nevertheless not want T-SQL's behavior to change :-).
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Nice question thanks! (It is nice to know that the issues I have run into in the past have taught me some things, and that I still remember them.)
Oleg Netchaev
Oleg Netchaev
SSCrazy

Michael Poppers (8/3/2010)

The difference, Oleg, is that the 1st argument to ROUND() is a NUMERIC. I would nevertheless not want T-SQL's behavior to change :-).

This is true, but who said that int is not numeric? Well, I will actually switch from numeric wordy to decimal at this point. I understand that they are synonyms and numeric is ANSI standard, but it just smells like Oracle to me, so I prefer decimal instead. Int can be considered as decimal(10, 0). From BOL:

For example, int data type can hold 10 digits, is stored in 4 bytes, and does not accept decimal points. The int data type has a precision of 10, a length of 4, and a scale of 0.

So, both statements below:

select round(5, 1);
select round(cast(5 as decimal(10,0)), 1);

are pretty similar, both print 5 in the results window. :-)

Oleg
mtillman-921105
mtillman-921105
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Oleg Netchaev (8/3/2010)

int i = 5, j = 3;

Very good question Hugo, thank you. It does not happen too often to be able to answer your QotD right off the bat without thinking much. :-)

Oleg

Oleg, first, my standard is my calculator and if I put in 5/3, it shows 1.66666666.

Second, logically, 5 / 3 <> 1. It is actually closer to 2. So SQL is returning a false statement.

Third, us humans don't think this way typically I don't believe (thus, the good main question here). Since SQL is our tool, we should dictate how it works rather than vice-versa.

However, I can accept your line of reasoning, but I still don't agree.

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.
You can't delete your own posts.