SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Question of the Day for 20 Jan 2004

Question of the Day for 20 Jan 2004

Author
FreeHansje
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

So, where do I find info on the DBCC LOCK command? Not in BOL, I don't...

A curious person.

Greetz,
Hans Brouwer
Frank Kalis
Frank Kalis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)

This one might help

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/RDyess/traceflags.asp

--
Frank Kalis
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/
David S Dudley Jr
David S Dudley Jr
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)SSC-Addicted (494 reputation)

Thanks for pointing out the trace flags info.

Just like NewBie...

I can't find the DBCC LOCK command listed

nor can I find the StallReportThreshold option listed anywhere (even on a search on Google)

David

David
Adam Machanic
Adam Machanic
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I searched Google, Deja, BOL, etc, and couldn't find a single hit on "StallReportThreshold" ... Any unofficial documentation on DBCC LOCK available?

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com: THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web
Frank Kalis
Frank Kalis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)

I haven't found such a documentation. But looking at the article I've mentioned didn't make the answer that difficult anymore.

--
Frank Kalis
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/
AFPeterson
AFPeterson
Old Hand
Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)

I found this URL with some undocumented DBCC commands.

I does have DBCC LOCK listed.

http://databasejournal.com/features/mssql/print.php/1459071

What's the business problem you're trying to solve?
chrisleonard
chrisleonard
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

I thought this was a really interesting question - and a pretty tough one, too! Google didn't help at all, and the old lists of undocumented DBCC commands don't help, because DBCC LOCK used to not have any parameters.

Responding to AFPeterson's post, this could be very useful ... but I'll PM you so as not to spoil the question for anybody else.

I actually had to test the thing out to figure out what it did exactly. That's probably what made it such an enjoyable question for me - the fact that it was something that I didn't know and couldn't look up in BOL, but I could test it at least. My biggest surprise is that 65 % of people have gotten it right so far! Either this is a nice parameter that I just didn't know about (and 65% of everybody else did!) or it's an easy question to guess, or ... maybe Frank's post helped some people? But I already knew what the 3605 did ...

Cheers,
Chris

pwright7776
pwright7776
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)

I thought this was pretty tough also since it was an undocumented DBCC. But I luckily guessed the right thing knowing how most of the DBCC commands are worded.

Have a good day!

Pat

Pat Wright
Dba

Igor Raytsin
Igor Raytsin
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)Right there with Babe (747 reputation)

From Google:

http://www.extremeexperts.com/sql/articles/ListDBCCCommands.aspx

There are approximately 130 of them

Igor

Jeff W
Jeff W
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)SSC-Addicted (477 reputation)

This was a great question!! Good useful stuff!!!

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.