SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database Snapshot

Database Snapshot

Author
abmore
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Database Snapshot
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Interesting question. My first inclination was to answer no. Then I read this documentation that said that backups and restores are supported with snapshots in 2008 R2.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189548.aspx

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

UMG Developer
UMG Developer
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Jason,

What you looked at was "Snapshot Backups", not "Database Snapshots."

I think these are the ones he was talking about: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189940.aspx (Native standard features that don't require third party stuff.)

Interesting question, with the reference to 2008 R2 I thought maybe something changed and backups would be allowed, but I was positive that you couldn't restore a snapshot, as they are read-only.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

That makes sense. Thanks for the correction.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

SQL Editor
SQL Editor
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)

SQL Server does not support online restore from a snapshot backup. Restoring a snapshot backup automatically takes the database offline.
For more info visit url
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189548.aspx
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Interesting question.
Had to make sure of my facts before answering (just in case something changed with R2)

Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Interesting question. Understanding the exact question is important. I think I need to read a little more.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)

Group: Administrators
This is confusing, mainly because MS is reusing terms in a new way. I wish they had called this something else.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
pjdiller
pjdiller
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)SSC-Addicted (487 reputation)

I know that databases can be restored from existing snapshots:

RESTORE DATABASE database_name
FROM DATABASE_SNAPSHOT = database_snapshot_name

I figured the question referred to this, but it must not have... and I was hoping R2 would let you backup an existing snapshot. Guess not?

:-)
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)

Group: Administrators
You can restore FROM a snapshot, but you cannot restore A snapshot.

The backup would seem to be trivial. Read pages from snapshot or source db, write to disk.

Hmmm, a suggestions. Please vote: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/581168/allow-backup-of-database-snapshot

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.