SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Distinct clause in Select statement

Distinct clause in Select statement

Author
dave hants
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Distinct clause in Select statement
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

Nice question - clear and to the point ..yet it makes one think and learn

Thank you

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
ziangij
ziangij
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

good one... thanks :-)
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

Answer is very easy: SELECT DISTINCT does not have parameters.

I run on tuttopodismo
Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Nice - one of those questions that makes you pause for a couple of seconds and think "Could there be an obscure use of this keyword that I'm not aware of?" And then you realise you're being silly, give yourself a slap on the wrist and click submit...

Duncan
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Nice question, but I think the answer is a little unclear.

The important thing to note is that the parentheses of the example do not have anything to do with the DISTINCT keyword. This should become more obvious with the following example:

SELECT DISTINCT
NULL Dummy
,(datepart(year,ModifiedDate)) as year
,(ModifiedDate)
,(1) + (2)
from Person.Contact
order by ModifiedDate

These parentheses are valid, but also superfluous as they provide no additional value.

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Andrew Watson-478275
Andrew Watson-478275
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

I agree with Christian, and think that this is a very important point to make. From doing peer reviews, I've found that it's a very common misconception that DISTINCT takes a parameter which in some way restricts its "distinctness".
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Thanks. Good question, made me think for a minute or two before answering.
webrunner
webrunner
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Good question, interesting to learn that the parentheses make no difference for SELECT DISTINCT.

I have one question, though. I've seen people show me queries where they write SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) or something like that. Is that also the same as SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(userid), or is there a difference?

And I am also curious about how (1) SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) would differ from (2) SELECT COUNT(userid) - I assume if there are multiple rows with the same userid in the table being queried, the second query would return more rows than the first? **

** Edited again - sorry, I guess these queries would return the same number of rows (e.g. one summary row), but maybe different COUNT values. Is that correct?

Thanks,
webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

webrunner
Easy enough to find out ...
CREATE TABLE #T(userid INT)
INSERT INTO #T
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 2 UNION ALL
SELECT 3 UNION ALL
SELECT 4 UNION ALL
SELECT 5 UNION ALL
SELECT 6 UNION ALL
SELECT 7

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) AS '(1)' FROM #T
SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(userid)AS '(2)' FROM #T

Results:
(1)   (2)
7 8

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.