SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Table Variable :Doesn't care

Table Variable :Doesn't care

Author
JF1081
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)SSC-Addicted (490 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
tommyh (7/6/2010)
UMG Developer (7/6/2010)
Nice question, thanks!

I'm a little surprised that so many people have gotten it correct so far, but that may be because of the copy, paste, F5 syndrome. ;-)

Or copy, paste, alt+x syndrome (F5 is to far away on the keyboard... and actually clicking execute is WAY out of the question).

Good question though.

I have been wondering what the keyboard shortcut is for execute is. I learned 2 things today.
By the way, this is not that hard to figure out without a copy and paste. I figured that 1,2 for both queries was too obvious; then I realized that one table is a variable so it probably would not be affected by the rollback. I guessed right.
And I am assuming that rolling back a transaction does not change any type of variable to the pre-transaction value?
Jan Sorenson
Jan Sorenson
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)

I like these kind of QOD because they point out the subtle differences in very similar things. After reviewing the post, I have been schooled and am better for it. Regarding the F5 cheating issue, I guess it's a matter of perspective on what game you are playing. For me, I guess I am not playing the traditional game but have engaged in another way of learning, I am just monitoring activity, and learning a lot along the way. Hehe
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Good QotD: Brief, straightforward illustration of something that may be well-known but was new to me.

I must be missing something. In Hrvoje's example, I understand why there are no rows in #t but I don't understand why the 'A' row isn't in @t. Is it because the output into #t fails?
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

wware (7/7/2010)
I must be missing something. In Hrvoje's example, I understand why there are no rows in #t but I don't understand why the 'A' row isn't in @t. Is it because the output into #t fails?

That is because the statement fails. If a statement fails, it has no effect. Not on tables, nor on variables - and hence, not on table variables eiter.
"SELECT @StringVar = 'a', @IntVar = 'a'" would leave both variables unaffected as well.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
KevinC.
KevinC.
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)

Excellent question. I learned something new from all the other posts, too. :-)
webrunner
webrunner
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

Good question. Got it wrong, and now I know why.

Thanks,
webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)

Thanks for the QOD

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

girishbiswal-701083
girishbiswal-701083
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Thank you:-P
Aparna-1
Aparna-1
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)

good question. Got the answer from the title
VM-723206
VM-723206
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Easy!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.