Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Should DBAs Be the Protectors of Data?

Should DBAs Be the Protectors of Data?

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

Group: Administrators
You have to trust your administrators. You can contract with them, bond them, have them liable for things, but ultimately you must trust them

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwestForum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It's commendable for anybody to be pro active, but I don't think it is the DBA's responsibility. I thought that was why organisations employed Data Managers and CIOs.
Mark Dalley
Mark Dalley
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)

paul s-306273 (7/5/2010)
It's commendable for anybody to be pro active, but I don't think it is the DBA's responsibility. I thought that was why organisations employed Data Managers and CIOs.

It obviously depends on the size and structure of the organization. But knowing human nature, if something goes seriously wrong, isn't it a bit naive not to assume that the the person whose head will roll is the DBA, because (a) they is the person at the operational coalface and hence best placed to protect the data (whether they were explicitly given responsibility for a given DB or not); and (b) because they will be lower in the pecking order than the CIO or data manager?

I think Brad is correct. Looking for critical data to protect is good practice. You could call it due diligence.

Mark Dalley
Nevyn
Nevyn
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)SSC Eights! (956 reputation)

I think a DBA reacting to situations like this they encounter is fine. If you learn of critical data being stored in an unsafe way, by all means speak your mind.

But these days with so much information to be kept, and the ubiquity of excel and access, I think this needs to be managed more proactively and I'm not sure that the DBA should be the person to do that.

I think when it comes to going out and finding this type of thing, that is both just easier and a more natural role for an IT manager/CIO to be doing.
syi916
syi916
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Your organization is lucky to have someone like him. But moving the data is the easy part... you'll have to coordinate with app dev to get their gui converted over to use the new datasource. Which is much more political and difficult to do. Usually cannot happen unless the guy/gal has some pull in the company.
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Off topic, but when did SSC-Insane ranking come in?
joel.weiss 70857
joel.weiss 70857
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

I agree with your mentor up to a point, and this is a critical point: a DBA, by definition, is an administrator, not an officer. Seeking out data and judging whether it is critical, real or worth saving is not part of the job. Overdoing this role contains an inherent risk of creating unnecessary infrastructure and producting redundant data, which is a different type of risk (accuracy). Leave those judgement calls to the CIO.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

paul s-306273 (7/5/2010)
Off topic, but when did SSC-Insane ranking come in?

It seems like Steve made it up right after I tipped the 20K mark. Since I'm the only one that fits the category (so far) and he carefully excluded himself, it seems he may be trying to tell me something. :-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
     Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is usually not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

joel.weiss 70857 (7/6/2010)
I agree with your mentor up to a point, and this is a critical point: a DBA, by definition, is an administrator, not an officer. Seeking out data and judging whether it is critical, real or worth saving is not part of the job. Overdoing this role contains an inherent risk of creating unnecessary infrastructure and producting redundant data, which is a different type of risk (accuracy). Leave those judgement calls to the CIO.

Not that every company will have this kind of sensitivity but if I had done that in the past, the company would have been out of business for being sued because the CIO was also a DA (and that's not a legal term in this case). ;-) Sometimes you have to protect the officers from themselves. Hehe

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
     Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is usually not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Sioban Krzywicki
Sioban Krzywicki
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

joel.weiss 70857 (7/6/2010)

From the CIOs I've seen, this kind of concern is something they'd delegate at best. They have their minds on other things and in many cases either don't have the time for this kind of low-level activity or simply don't have the expertise needed.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.