Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Concurrent processing in SSIS – Part 1

Concurrent processing in SSIS – Part 1

Author
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Concurrent processing in SSIS – Part 1
ziangij
ziangij
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

thanks Elliott Smile

i was looking for various concurrency options in SSIS package, your example has helped me... looking forward for Part 2.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Nice article Elliott. It was a pleasure to read.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Thanks guys, I hope it helps..

CEWII
pcannon
pcannon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Nice article Elliott.
richard.maw
richard.maw
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Interesting stuff but I tried adding "waitfor delay '00:00:01';" to each of the sample work SQL tasks in the OnePackageMethod (before the update statement). That way you can see what is happening because the work takes longer. On my workstation I observed that none of the tasks executed concurrently. They each execute in turn. Maybe on a server it would behave differently?
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable

richard.maw (6/17/2010)
Interesting stuff but I tried adding "waitfor delay '00:00:01';" to each of the sample work SQL tasks in the OnePackageMethod (before the update statement). That way you can see what is happening because the work takes longer. On my workstation I observed that none of the tasks executed concurrently. They each execute in turn. Maybe on a server it would behave differently?
I've seen wildly varying performance on different machines, and while SSIS will try to run multiple items if the package is built to do that it can't always do it, on a single processor machine (no hyperthreading either) I doubt it will do it. On a server and even a laptop with multiple cores and a couple GB of memory you will see it thread..

Thanks for reading..

CEWII
richard.maw
richard.maw
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

I have dual core and 4GB. When I get the chance I'll try using a remote SQL Server that should help.
Mike Dougherty
Mike Dougherty
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)

This works very well for centralizing a task comprised of steps on remote servers. A package to manage the remote calls has very little overhead on the machine running the package. In our usage there's a server at corporate that calls many colo-hosted SQL instances.
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable

richard.maw (6/17/2010)
I have dual core and 4GB. When I get the chance I'll try using a remote SQL Server that should help.
Interesting, I have seen significantly less hardware run 3 threads at a time.

Mike Dougherty (6/17/2010)
This works very well for centralizing a task comprised of steps on remote servers. A package to manage the remote calls has very little overhead on the machine running the package. In our usage there's a server at corporate that calls many colo-hosted SQL instances.
Good to know, thanks..

CEWII
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.