SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stored Procedure Execution

Stored Procedure Execution

Author
TheRedneckDBA
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stored Procedure Execution

The Redneck DBA
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

Great question, thanks Jason!

The old don't start your SP names with SP_

I really wish I knew all of this 13 years ago... Wink
ziangij
ziangij
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

thanks, great question... got it wrong though Sad

A user-defined stored procedure that has the same name as a system stored procedure and is either nonqualified or is in the dbo schema will never be executed; the system stored procedure will always execute instead.

i have read the microsoft link; was wondering if the user-defined proc doesn't ever run then what is the purpose of creating that proc ? why can't an error be thrown instead ?
forjonathanwilson
forjonathanwilson
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

Nailed it, because I assumed that "person" was not me. If I were "person" the answer would have been 5.
forjonathanwilson
forjonathanwilson
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

ziangij (6/8/2010)
thanks, great question... got it wrong though Sad

A user-defined stored procedure that has the same name as a system stored procedure and is either nonqualified or is in the dbo schema will never be executed; the system stored procedure will always execute instead.

i have read the microsoft link; was wondering if the user-defined proc doesn't ever run then what is the purpose of creating that proc ? why can't an error be thrown instead ?

1) the user defined proc can be run explicitly, perhaps in within an EXEC(string) used in a proc that built the command with the user name as argument.
2)Or if that particular user (joeFoo) runs sp_whatever, and his/her username is attached to another proc with the same name (joeFoo.sp_whatever), then THAT proc executes.
malleswarareddy_m
malleswarareddy_m
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I got wrong.Thought that it will give error the sp_ ...... procedure already exists if the procedure name alreay in master database.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
Mighty
Mighty
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

forjonathanwilson (6/8/2010)
Nailed it, because I assumed that "person" was not me. If I were "person" the answer would have been 5.

Or if the default schema of the user executing it is person.
vignesh 38804
vignesh 38804
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)

Avoiding uage of prefix sp_ improves the performance.
prashant.bhatt
prashant.bhatt
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)

Very Nice question

I am not sure but the query is returning me 5....

I dont have the AdventureWorks db on the server...

Tried using the test database with dbo schema.... may be this is why the results are different for me

Prashant Bhatt
Sr Engineer - Application Programming
WayneS
WayneS
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Good question Jason!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.