SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Simple LIKE with wildcard

Simple LIKE with wildcard

Author
Michael Poppers
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
honza.mf (5/25/2010)
If someone uses case sensitive collation, he will have all characters in uppercase.

Sorry, ignore this reply and see my next reply :-). Thanks.
Michael Poppers
Michael Poppers
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)

honza.mf (5/25/2010)
If someone uses case sensitive collation, he will have all characters in uppercase.

Sounds reasonable, but use COLLATE Czech_CS_AS (instead of the case-insensitive collation) -- SELECT DISTINCT will return three rows (instead of one), and one of the result rows appears (to my non-Czech eyes) to not be what in the Roman alphabet would be called "uppercase"!
jlennartz
jlennartz
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)SSC Eights! (830 reputation)

honza.mf (5/25/2010)
jlennartz (5/25/2010)

If all characters were inserted into DB as upper case how come query is returning lower case?

It's another aspect of this question not mentioned yet: All characters inserted into are not guaranted to be uppercase!
You feel they are uppercase due to "while @a2 <= 'Z'" condition. You must evaluate this condition in appropriate collation too. Most of us use case-insensitive collations and in such collations lowercase letters also fit this condition. And it si true for the special characters between 'Z' and 'a' in ASCII table like '[', '\', ']' - it's not obvious but for me it's clear. There can be even more characters that fit, it's collation dependant.

Thank you for the answer it make sense, now. You won't get A-Z but whatever the Check equivqlent of their ascii number is.

Jerry
LutzM
LutzM
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

honza.mf (5/25/2010)
I don't know our linguists (ÚPJČ) but this will be very hard to do. Orthographic rules are very rigid and cannot be changed so easy. I remember last great changes in czech orthography or several years ago changes Germans made. It was always painful.

First of all: very nice question!! I just "lost" one point, but learned something new. I was aware of the collation issue but I thought 'A' to 'Z' didn't make room for it.

Regarding our orthography changes (I'm German): at least it allows me to write the way I'd like to: most probably there was/is/will_be a time and place where the spelling I use was/is/will_be valid :-)
But it definitely makes it really hard to help your kids through (school) homework... Ooops, getting off topic. Sorry. Again: Nice QOTD!

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Michael Poppers (5/25/2010)
honza.mf (5/25/2010)

Sounds reasonable, but use COLLATE Czech_CS_AS (instead of the case-insensitive collation) -- SELECT DISTINCT will return three rows (instead of one), and one of the result rows appears (to my non-Czech eyes) to not be what in the Roman alphabet would be called "uppercase"!

Sorry, it was my mistake as I haven't checked it. Case sensitivity of a collation is used probably in equality comparisons only. Loops in example are controled by less or equal operator, and it says 'a' <= 'Z'

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Tom Garth
Tom Garth
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

honza.mf (5/25/2010)
jlennartz (5/25/2010)

If all characters were inserted into DB as upper case how come query is returning lower case?

It's another aspect of this question not mentioned yet: All characters inserted into are not guaranted to be uppercase!
You feel they are uppercase due to "while @a2 <= 'Z'" condition. You must evaluate this condition in appropriate collation too. Most of us use case-insensitive collations and in such collations lowercase letters also fit this condition. And it si true for the special characters between 'Z' and 'a' in ASCII table like '[', '\', ']' - it's not obvious but for me it's clear. There can be even more characters that fit, it's collation dependant.

Quite correct. The actual number of rows in #t with a default installation is 20449. To get the 26 by 26 result requires
while ASCII(@a1) <= ASCII('Z') begin

, etc.

This QotD turned out to be much more interesting than I initially thought it would.

Thanks for the lesson!

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Paul White
Paul White
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Very nice question today. I only found it easy because I have been doing stuff with unusual collations recently.
There's a great set of visual tables showing sort (and comparison) orders at:
http://www.collation-charts.org/mssql/

edit: used a code tag instead of url first time around Rolleyes

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
vk-kirov
vk-kirov
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Tom Garth (5/26/2010)
The actual number of rows in #t with a default installation is 20449.

It depends :-D I've got 3969 rows with my default installation.
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Tom Garth (5/26/2010)

Quite correct. The actual number of rows in #t with a default installation is 20449. To get the 26 by 26 result requires
while ASCII(@a1) <= ASCII('Z') begin

, etc.

This QotD turned out to be much more interesting than I initially thought it would.

Thanks for the lesson!

Yes, it was very interesting for me in the moment I dicovered the problem with 'CH'. Other interesting thoughts came to me when I wrote the question and the discussion is very useful.

© Dr.Plch
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted

Paul White NZ (5/26/2010)
Very nice question today. I only found it easy because I have been doing stuff with unusual collations recently.
There's a great set of visual tables showing sort (and comparison) orders at:
http://www.collation-charts.org/mssql/

edit: used a code tag instead of url first time around Rolleyes

Thank you for URL. It's very good source. It explained me a lot about some strange things I met before.

© Dr.Plch
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.