SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What will this return?

What will this return?

Author
bkubicek
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What will this return?
ziangij
ziangij
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

had to solve this using ssms 2005... Sad the query length was too much for me Smile
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I'll admit this right away - I cheated; I used copy and paste to have SSMS work out the answer for me.

I don't feel bad about it either. I know about integer division and I understand all about dateadd and datediff (I even added some tricks to Tibor Karaszi's ultimate guide to the datetime datatypes), so I think I deserve these points. But feel free to disagree.

The reason I cheated is that the expressions used to set the two datetime variables are way too complex to understand. Especially with their (lack of) formatting. Having to scroll horizontally to see the end of an expression is never a good sign. Same goes for having to count parenthese to find out what belongs together and what doesn't. If one of my staff (which in reality I don't have) turned in this code, I'd send him/her back.

From the explanation, I understand that the focus is not on the lengthy expressions but on the division that follows. So why not, instead of doing al that hard work to set the datetimes to "today" at a fixed time, use a fixed date as well:
SET @startDt = '2010-05-01T10:30:00';
SET @endDt = '2010-05-01T12:00:00';

Then I would have been able to answer the question without cheating, and felt even better about my point.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
DugyC
DugyC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

I have to agree with Hugo here, if the question is overly complicated involving long "unreadable" calculations, then it's going to send most people I would imagine down the path to the dark side.

Especially, as pointed out, if it is unnecessary for the lesson.

ps. Sorry, I cheated too... Whistling

Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I managed to work out what all the date functions were doing, but was caught out by the select @hourDiff = @min / 60. Since @hourDiff was defined as numeric(10,4), I thought it would come out OK as 1.5.

So I definitely learned something, which is what it's all about! Cool
sharath.chalamgari
sharath.chalamgari
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

it took 10 mins to go through the date functions to finally arrive at the result of 90 mins and then it is simple.
DugyC
DugyC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

You know what... you guys are right.

It's just took me less than a minute to work out he was just setting the hour to 10:30 and 12:00 respectively, and then of course the result of the calculation will be an integer hence 1.0000 and not 1.5000

Still learnt a lesson though... don't be so lazy in future! Blush

SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

I executed this query in SQL Client 2008 but i did not receive any output. Instead it just said "Commands executed successfully"...!Sad

------------------------
~Niths~
Hard Work never Fails :-)
bkubicek
bkubicek
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Sorry for the misdirection. I thought it was what made this question fun. I found a problem just like this in some code I inherited from some previous employees. I spent two days digging through some complicated code just to end up at a division problem. That is why I liked this one. It makes you feel you are done once you make it through the date stuff, but then you didn't notice the integer division.

Anyway, I am glad you all spent the time to try and figure it out. Perhaps the next question I think up won't have quite as much misdirection.

Ben
ronmoses
ronmoses
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Yeah, I was kinda wishing for a "tldr" option. :-P

-----
a haiku...

NULL is not zero
NULL is not an empty string
NULL is the unknown

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.