Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Problem with having mutiple script tasks in an SSIS Package

Problem with having mutiple script tasks in an SSIS Package

Author
Joseph Cooper
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a package with 3 control flow tasks all enclosed in a sequence container. For each of these taks I have added a script flow task in the "OnError" event handler. I am trapping the error in a variable.

To the sequence container I have added a script task which takes the value from this variable and sends an email.

However the error message I receive is repeated 3 times even though only one of the tasks has the error. Is it because all the script tasks have the entry point as "ScriptMain".

Can we have mutiple script tasks with the same entry point? Please advice how to proceed.
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Joseph,
I'm sorry, I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing. Could you post a screen print of the package? I think that will be enough..

CEWII
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

We need to understand a bit more about the logical flow of your package, I think.

You can easily check out your Script Main suspicion - just try changing it to be unique (and changing the entry point).

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Joseph Cooper
Joseph Cooper
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

The attached doc file shows the layout. This contains 2 SQL Exceute tasks. For each of these tasks the on error event contains a Script task to collect the error and place in a variable.

The Collect All Errors (Script task) collects the errors and sends an email. In this situation the error is repeated twice.

I have even changed the Class Name in the script tasks, to something other than ScriptMain, and also the entry points but I still get the message repeated.
Attachments
SSIS_TrapErrors.doc (26 views, 44.00 KB)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Surely your e-mail task needs to be outside of the Sequence container, after the Collect All Errors task?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Joseph Cooper
Joseph Cooper
Forum Newbie

The email is outside the sequence container. The script task "Collect All Errors' collects all the errors and sends the email
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Ok, I have a better idea..

Every script task is effectively its own "class" there shouldn't be any issue with each having its own ScriptMain..

So I don't think that is your problem...

CEWII
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights

So what do Email_Start and Email_Success do?

Joseph Cooper
Joseph Cooper
Forum Newbie

The Email Start just sends an email that the package has started and the Email Success sends an email if the job completed successfully
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights

Have you tried debugging the Script Task to see whether that gives you any clues about what is happening?

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.