SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Down Tools Week

Down Tools Week

Author
Tony Davis
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)SSC Eights! (903 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Down Tools Week
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Really interesting article. I am going to show it to my boss and co-workers.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

Nice article Tony. I think this type of program has some extreme merits. I know what I would do under these types of circumstances.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Interesting.

This kind of thing can be quite useful, but I think it's got more difficult that it used to be because there are more tools out there so there are not as many small useful projects to produce a tool that does something existing tools can't do and there's the risk that not completing something will have a negative effect on morale that's as big as or bigger than the positive effect of being able to try. Thirtyfive years ago I wrote a simple interactive submitter for batch jobs and an associated stream scheduler one afternoon and it was something new and exciting and gained acceptance and wide spread use within weeks. Now you've got someone trying to produce something better that VISIO in 4 days - that's much more difficult, even if the tools he has at his disposal are a bit better than what I had way back when.

Tom

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.