SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Alert to find the Physical server memory usage

SQL Server Alert to find the Physical server memory usage

Author
m--S3qU3L
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,

Is there an alert to find the Physical server memory usage, so that we get an alert message when the physical server memory usage goes beyond a limit.

I'm not looking for WMI query OR the object - SQL Server: Memory alert. I would like to get the actual phyisical memory usage through the SQL Server Alert ssystem.

Any help would be appreciable

John
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

Refer this link http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/operations-manager/om-overview.aspx and attached doc

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
m--S3qU3L
m--S3qU3L
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Hi all,

Is there a way to get an alert from SQL Server itself when a particular limit of Total available memory in the Server has been reached, not using the WMI query.

I have checked the SQL Server Performance condition alert, but it has the counters for the calculating the memory allotted to SQL Server only. I would like to get the memory usage of physical server as a whole.

Thanks

John
Shawn Melton
Shawn Melton
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

No...SQL Server will only capture counters and information for what resources it is using. It does not take much note of what is outside the boundary.

Shawn Melton
Twitter: @wsmelton
Blog: blog.wsmelton.info
m--S3qU3L
m--S3qU3L
SSCommitted

So does this mean WMI query is the only approach to get the information (alert) about the memory usage of the physical server where the SQL Server resides.

John
Shawn Melton
Shawn Melton
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

bigM (4/4/2010)
So does this mean WMI query is the only approach to get the information (alert) about the memory usage of the physical server where the SQL Server resides.

You can use Perfmon alerts but you could call the WMI query from within SQL Server, giving you the option of doing alerts.

Shawn Melton
Twitter: @wsmelton
Blog: blog.wsmelton.info
Ray Laubert
Ray Laubert
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

You can query the sys.dm_os_performance_counters for object name = SQLServer:Memory Manager.
It will give you Total Server Memory that SQL is using and Target Server Memory.

Raymond Laubert
Exceptional DBA of 2009 Finalist
MCT, MCDBA, MCITP:SQL 2005 Admin,
MCSE, OCP:10g
m--S3qU3L
m--S3qU3L
SSCommitted

Ray Laubert (4/5/2010)
You can query the sys.dm_os_performance_counters for object name = SQLServer:Memory Manager.
It will give you Total Server Memory that SQL is using and Target Server Memory.

I wanted to set an alert system on the actual RAM usage of the server by all the processes, not just the SQL Server process. So that when a particular threshold is reached for the RAM usage by all the process, I get an alert email.

For this purpose, I was looking for any default object in the SQL Alerts itself. SQL server has the alert system for the object SQLServer:Memory Manager, but it looks for the Memory that SQL is using. I needed alert in SQL Server for object "Memory".

Taking the result from the table wont trigger the alert.

I believe, it is not present in SQL Server.
I may have to look into perfmon for this.

Thanks. Please feel free to shout if find anything inside the SQL Server itself to track the "Memory" object.

John
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.