Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Proper Case Problem

Proper Case Problem

Author
Kicking_Fish0713
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
I've created a function that will set column values into Proper case.Say for example:
FROM this format:
AA BB

To this format:
Aa Bb

My problem is,how can I set/change the values ending with roman numeral? Like,
FROM this format:
AA BB II or AA BB III

TO this format:
Aa Bb II or Aa Bb III

Function script:
create function ProperCase(@Text as varchar(8000))
returns varchar(8000)
as
begin
declare @Reset bit;
declare @Ret varchar(8000);
declare @i int;
declare @c char(1);

select @Reset = 1, @i=1, @Ret = '';

while (@i <= len(@Text))
   select @c= substring(@Text,@i,1),
@Ret = @Ret + case when @Reset=1 then UPPER(@c) else LOWER(@c) end,
@Reset = case when @c like '[a-zA-Z]' then 0 else 1 end,
@i = @i +1
return @Ret
end
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

i needed to play with data.
Declare @tbl table ( main_text nvarchar(200), Without_Roman_values nvarchar(100),Roman_values nvarchar(50) )
insert into @tbl (main_text)
select 'BHUVH III'
union
SELECT 'DEXY V'
UNION
SELECT 'JACK TONY VIII'

update @tbl
set Without_Roman_values = reverse(substring(reverse(main_text),charindex(' ', reverse(main_text) ,1), LEN(main_text))),
Roman_values = reverse(substring(reverse(main_text), 1, charindex(' ', reverse(main_text) ,1)))

select *,(dbo.ProperCase(Without_Roman_values)+ roman_values )as OutPut from @tbl

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Rob Schripsema
Rob Schripsema
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Great idea, Bhuvnesh, but that won't work when there are no Roman numerals at the end.

JOHN JONES will end up as John JONES.

But you could use your idea to strip off that last 'word' from the end of a name and match it against a table or list of possible values ('I','II','III','IV','V','VI', etc) and only leave it intact if it matches.

Rob Schripsema
Propack, Inc.
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Rob Schripsema (3/30/2010)
Great idea, Bhuvnesh, but that won't work when there are no Roman numerals at the end.

JOHN JONES will end up as John JONES.

But you could use your idea to strip off that last 'word' from the end of a name and match it against a table or list of possible values ('I','II','III','IV','V','VI', etc) and only leave it intact if it matches.
yes i had same doubt but couldnt think as u did. i am gree with you that we can do some lookup table comparision for ROMAN values.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

It might be a better plan to either store the parts of the names separately (e.g. prefix, suffix) or to do this sort of presentation work on the application responsible for generating the input in the first place. Formatting is rarely best done inside the database.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Uripedes Pants
Uripedes Pants
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)

I am with Paul on this one - store each piece of the name in it's own field (even though this leaves a lot of empty fields for the suffix). Even with that scheme though you still run into McAfee, McDonald, D'Angelo.... proper case is a long standing tough problem.

Edit: I should have googled before posting. Here are just a few links that turn up. As you can see, it's not easy and is a thorn in the sides of many.

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-convert-a-name-to-proper-case.html
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47718
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36527
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

One other idea is to embed the formatting rules in a .NET function. The same function could be used in the application or the database using SQLCLR integration. Just another option.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.