SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Answers to Your QOD

Answers to Your QOD

Author
john.arnott
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Answers to Your QOD
Ric Sierra
Ric Sierra
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Well, could be better if someone in SSC takes some time to check the questions and answers before the publication. What you think?
Kingston Dhasian
Kingston Dhasian
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

I doubt if anybody is going to get this right. 20 attempts so far and nobody has got it till now.

It would be better somebody from SSC reviews the Question and the Answer before it is posted. But the ultimate responsibility should on the people mentioned in the answer.

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
John.Liu
John.Liu
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)

42 attempts so far with no success but majority speak the right answer should be for this one. Obviously, the submitter is responsible for it. However, it will add value if the QOD is reviewed before publish. Sure, one should challenge if disagree with the answer. What about if one is not sure about the answer? They more often will rely on the answer and explanation, given this is published by SSC. Maybe, SSC should put up a line of statement against each QOD that "answers only express the submitter’s view and may not be correct".
vk-kirov
vk-kirov
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

I think Microsoft is also indirectly responsible for the subject of discussion, because usually answers and explanations include quotes from BOL and links to BOL. If there are any errors in BOL, a QOD may contain those errors as well.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)

I actually disagree with the correct answer.

The QOD does get a cursory look from Steve. He does try to verify some of the answers. He can speak better to that.

This is difficult without divulging the answer.

The second part of the answer indicates that certain people have a responsibility in creating the question and answer. The correct answer should be verified for their own sake but they don't have that responsibility as far as the QOD goes. They should, and do have the opportunity, to share the information - however they can't truly change the correct answer within the realms of the QOD.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)

vk-kirov (3/19/2010)
I think Microsoft is also indirectly responsible for the subject of discussion, because usually answers and explanations include quotes from BOL and links to BOL. If there are any errors in BOL, a QOD may contain those errors as well.

They are strictly responsible for publishing accurate information about their product. Now we know that isn't always the case. Unless MS reviews the QOD, their responsibility is limited.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

Sad thing about answering this question is that I was certain I would miss it once I read the possible answers.

This is more of an opinion question, and thus many different opinions could be correct. Though I can thoroughly see the point being made by John.

Nice question John.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

0/69 now.
I think the "correct" answer is worth 100 or maybe 1000 points :-P

The responsibility of submitter is clear. But the readers? Sorry, they are responsible for the quality of discussions, not the answers.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
tommyh
tommyh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

To show my total noobness... what does the category "SSC" stand for?

Doh... of course "Sql Server Central"... its to early.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.