Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Finding Training

Finding Training

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Finding Training

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Henrico Bekker
Henrico Bekker
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It's sometimes difficult getting the Manager to pay for training....especially when based on a client site.
Every individuals career lenght and training path is essentially linked to the duration of the contract with the client..

When are you coming to South Africa to host a SQL Saturday? ;-)

----------------------------------------------
Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Divide by zero error encountered.
Matthew Joughin
Matthew Joughin
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Ditto on when are you coming to South Africa Smile

My company only generally attends one conference annually: Microsoft DevDays.
Interesting: its always been free before, but this year there is a cost.
I think its to make people serious about attending,
because often people would say they were coming, and then didn't,
frustrating for those who wanted to go but couldn't because it was "full".

Other than that, I have found an online resource that makes a whole lot of sense:
http://www.safaribooksonline.com
For a monthly fee you get access to, on the plan we are on, up to 10 books.
Considering programming/IT books are generally minimum $100 each in South Africa,
and they become out of date before you take another breath,
I think this service works really well.
Its cost effective, takes up no space on your self,
and can be shared by staff members,
and you can always get access to the latest books.

This is what we use for training, and it works really well Smile

if you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over ?
SQLPhil
SQLPhil
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I'm really lucky in that our company has a good policy on training and we generally have quite a healthy budget. The only difficulty I have is when I want to do some training for myself or for the guys in my team that is perhaps crossing the boundaries of our immediate remit of work. But if I can make a good enough case for the training then I can usually press on.

One of the biggest problems I have though is finding good quality training (which seems to be more difficult to find these days since the economic downturn).
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Like Phil, my company has a healthy attitude to training; indeed it's an integral section of our regular formal performance reviews. That means, of course, that if either manager or employee spot a training need, it's documented. Come next review, if the training hasn't been forthcoming and has affected performance, that's also documented.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
AndrewJacksonZA
AndrewJacksonZA
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)

+1 on coming to South Africa! :-)
caroline.boyd-1106617
caroline.boyd-1106617
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

I have had success by putting the request on an annual review. Especially if there is a section that asks what your manager can do for you.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

I've also been lucky to work for a company that is pretty good about training (although that's changing a bit). But the one thing I do, any time I can, is point out exactly where I recieved a piece of information that helped the company. If I read a book that had information we needed, I point out that book. If a session I attended at PASS showed information that we used, I make sure everyone involved knows where that information came from. I can't tell you that works to ensure I keep receiving training, but it has to accumulate to show the use of training.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Henrico Bekker (3/18/2010)
When are you coming to South Africa to host a SQL Saturday? ;-)

Silly question, but why does someone international have to come down here to organise an event?
Of the three people asking for Steve to visit, how many are based in JHB/PTA?

I've been nagging Steve to visit for years. He's scared of the flight. :-D

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

jcrawf02
jcrawf02
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Those of you in SA, band together and work out a SQLSaturday on your own, that doesn't require Steve's involvement. I see at least three volunteers here alone, and know that there are more of you on the forums...

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.