Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

An Urgent Ad Hoc Report

An Urgent Ad Hoc Report

Author
Yakov Shlafman
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item An Urgent Ad Hoc Report
qld_dba
qld_dba
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

Well done Yakov.

This is an excellent example of what our everyday work load is like.
Are you listening newbies? And even better the solution is a great example of the use of 2005 CTE features.

5 stars to you Yakov.;-)
Regards, Greg.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Thanks for the article Yakov.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

rob mcnicol
rob mcnicol
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)

great article - thanks heaps.

oh, might it benefit from the addition of this little tweak near the start?

'you tell your boss he's off his rocker for suggesting that you work past your usual time but you will happily do the report next morning on receipt of a box of chocolates and a nice bunch of flowers by way of apology'

:-P
roachw
roachw
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

I must be missing somthing here, I'm no SQL expert (in fact I'd never come accross CTE's before) but that seems like an awfull lot of code for what, on the face of it, seems like a pretty straight forward report. There's reams of it man!! I'd have been there till midnight producing that lot :-) Not only would I have missed dropping the kids off I would have missed picking em up too. Might look a bit closer at the CTE's though...
irozenberg
irozenberg
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

Thanks for article, Yakov.
Would not usually bother with sample data in a sandbox environment - usually would copy entire tables and create views with 1000 rows,
this would prevent NASTY surprises later on. Subject to having access to PRODUCTION environment and be allowed to copy data across.
If you do not have either - politely explain you manager that you did everything you COULD tonight and he will get his urgent report first thing in the morning. :-P

SPASIBO
murraydan885
murraydan885
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Ad Hoc Report

Alternatively you purchase Tableau Software and the whole effort requires about 60 seconds. Alternative 2, your user is able to create their own ad hoc report with Tableau.
Brett Berger
Brett Berger
Valued Member
Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)Valued Member (72 reputation)

Another option for ensuring the length of the individual dateparts is to left pad the value and retain the rightmost characters, thereby eliminating the case statement. This has come in handy in various situations.

Thanks, Brett

Declare @x int
Set @x = 1
Select Right('00' + Convert(varchar(2), @x), 2)

Set @x = 12
Select Right('00' + Convert(varchar(2), @x), 2)
l543123
l543123
Valued Member
Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)

"First of all, you run a script to find Contractor and Expense tables across all databases on you production server"

sorry if I am wrong, but why are you searching all databases and if you dont know the tables then what are you searching :-)

also I think its a lot of code for something like,
select contractor name, max of expense and date from contractor
inner join expense on expense.contract_id = contrator.id"
yakov shlafman-228008
yakov shlafman-228008
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Thanks SSC Rookie for your input.
I do describe a real environment. When I got a request like this
and I do not have any input or explanation this is my only choice.
The worst case scenario if Contractor table is not called Contractor.
Then no options until you can get table names.
:-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.