Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

T-SQL: Why “It Depends”

T-SQL: Why “It Depends”

Author
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
The Dixie Flatline (3/16/2010)
Paul: I will read over the article and see if Steve can make the changes. It's also been pointed out to me that a script to generate the sample data table really should have been included. Thanks, as always, for keeping me straight.

Thank you. I am as keen to try a recursive CTE as Joe is to try a MAX (PARTITION BY). Just for fun, y'know ;-)

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Scott Abrants
Scott Abrants
Valued Member
Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)

Very nice work. Thank you for a well done article.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Excellent article, Bob. It should be required reading for newbies so that the understand why we tell them "It Depends" so often.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Thanks, guys.

Jack: You're right. This was written back in November. Things have been hectic since. When is the next SQL Saturday in Orlando? I need a vacation.

Well, Orlando is always in late September or early October, but Jacksonville is May 8th. I can't make that one. I am probably going to go to the Atlanta SQLSaturday on April 27th. Be great to see you there.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
AndrewJacksonZA
AndrewJacksonZA
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)

Very useful article concept/theme - especially for the newbies, illustrative and effective example, great username (although I trust that you're not a construct :-))
Dave62
Dave62
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Great job with the article and an excellent example of how the same code will perform differently under various data loads.

Clearly, the answer "it depends" can be justified as you have so well done. If the answer is expanded on, as well as you have just done, it would be much more appreciated by T-SQL new comers.

Example:
___It depends, under conditions a... answer 1.

___Under conditions b... answer 2.

___...

This way the new comer will actually get the "best" answer they are looking for if one of the conditions and corresponding answer relates to their situation.

Dave
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Jeff: Simply thanks. I've told you before at length how much I owe you. It's good not to be savaged with a pork chop first thing in the morning. ;-)

BWAA-HAAA!!!! Well, "It Depends" on whether it's a smoked pork chop or not and whether there's a bit of apple-sauce to go with it. :-) Mmmmmm... pork chops.... gaaahhhh....

It's difficult to convince new and even some intermediate users that SQL Server has a proverbial "mind of its own" called the "optimizer" and that what works very well for a thousand rows may actually not be "scalable". I think this article demonstrates that quite nicely. Very well done (and I'm not talking pork chops :-)), Bob.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Just to chime in, great article.

This kind of thing is why performance tuning isn't "one and done", but is an ongoing battle. Good illustration on that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Greg Edwards-268690
Greg Edwards-268690
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)

Well done.
Great layout of examples to test several scenarios to show why you want to test with some different volumes.
I can see this as being pointed to often.
Greg E
noeld
noeld
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

I don't tend to praise a lot of articles, this one has my 5 stars!

Great Job.

* Noel
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.