Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Writing queries for mobile web sites

Writing queries for mobile web sites

Author
Ray K
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hey guys . . .

I've been tasked with writing a version of our web site for mobile devices. Although I have a lot of experience with HTML, ASP, and ASP.NET, I have never written mobile apps before, so this is uncharted territory for me.

So, you might be asking, what does this have to do with SQL? Well, a lot of our web pages are data-driven (they use a SQL Server back-end -- I think it's 2005). In fact, one of my first tasks is to retrofit a data-driven page for mobile devices.

I've read, so far, that mobile authoring discourages using scripting, which will likely impact my ability to access data.

With that, can any of you recommend reference resources, best practices, and hidden "gotchas" that I might come across when writing data-driven web sites for mobile devices? (Apologies if this question seems vague -- I haven't delved deeply enough into this yet to know what to ask!)

Thanks!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
‌Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ray K (3/11/2010)
Hey guys . . .

I've been tasked with writing a version of our web site for mobile devices. Although I have a lot of experience with HTML, ASP, and ASP.NET, I have never written mobile apps before, so this is uncharted territory for me.

So, you might be asking, what does this have to do with SQL? Well, a lot of our web pages are data-driven (they use a SQL Server back-end -- I think it's 2005). In fact, one of my first tasks is to retrofit a data-driven page for mobile devices.

I've read, so far, that mobile authoring discourages using scripting, which will likely impact my ability to access data.

With that, can any of you recommend reference resources, best practices, and hidden "gotchas" that I might come across when writing data-driven web sites for mobile devices? (Apologies if this question seems vague -- I haven't delved deeply enough into this yet to know what to ask!)

Thanks!

The mobile area of Asp.net moves so fast the it is best to use third party controls because these vendors handle mobile browser changes. There are some options with mobile data, write RMO(replication management object) code, consume SSIS package with SQL Server CE getting you mobile data and the last option use Replication. Check the thread below for some replication sample code.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic836764-323-1.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.