SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What's the count?

What's the count?

Author
cajun_sql
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice one - thanks. I just "recovered" from a Cartesian Product, myself. :-)
wall str33t
wall str33t
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

A better question might be is there a difference between count(*) and count(col).
Many people don't know the subtleties between them.
sknox
sknox
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

wall str33t (3/11/2010)
A better question might be is there a difference between count(*) and count(col).
Many people don't know the subtleties between them.

Rather than re-answer that question, I'll provide a link to where you can find that information:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost879366.aspx -- My post explaining how COUNT_BIG works
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost879538.aspx -- Oleg's excellent test setup illustrating my explanation

These are from the discussion of the March 9 QotD by agrawal.prakriti, about COUNT_BIG. The only difference between COUNT_BIG and COUNT is that COUNT_BIG returns a BIGINT rather than an INT. For official reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190317.aspx -- Microsoft's documentation for COUNT_BIG
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175997.aspx -- Microsoft's documentation for COUNT

Feel free to write and submit a QotD based on this info.
Oleg Netchaev
Oleg Netchaev
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Carlo Romagnano (3/11/2010)
if one table has one o more rows and the other is void, the result is 0.
NumberOfRows * 0 = 0

This is a very good feature of the count function, to still return 0 if there is nothing to count. This makes it different from other aggregates, which will return null if there is nothing to consider. For example,

use AdventureWorks;
go

declare @one_or_more table
(
DepartmentID smallint,
[Name] nvarchar(50)
);
declare @void table (DepartmentID smallint, [Name] nvarchar(50));

-- insert 10 records into @one_or_more and leave @void empty
insert into @one_or_more
select
top 10 DepartmentID, [Name]
from HumanResources.Department;

select count(*) RecordCount, min(A.DepartmentID) DepartmentID
from @one_or_more A, @void B;
go

resulting in

RecordCount DepartmentID
----------- ------------
0 NULL

illustrates the point. The cartesian product does not return anything because the @void has no records, the min(A.DepartmentID) is therefore null though the value of the first department in the @one_or_more is actually 1, but the count shines here as it still returns 0, not null. I am not saying that implementation of the count is better, but I find this feature extremely useful.

This is a very good question, really liked it.

Oleg
Steve Cullen
Steve Cullen
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

My definition of a good QOD: Anytime I get the correct answer :-D

Good Question!

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.

sameerchachad 69959
sameerchachad 69959
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)

Good question. This was really a mind teaser. Never thought of doing a COUNT for two tables.
Scott Arendt
Scott Arendt
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Well I learned something today. I had no idea you could produce a cross join in that manner.
Peter Trast
Peter Trast
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Well, I guessed that it would cross join and got lucky Smile
Now I have a new way to do cross joins! Can't wait to kill my server with that one...

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Amazing that so many people are unaware of the syntax. Especially since it pre-dates the CROSS JOIN form.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
timothy.g.parker
timothy.g.parker
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)

I tried the following statement on some existing tables

select count(*)
from table1, table2

to verify the results of the question. As it turns out, with my data set, the query returns the "Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type int".

It should be noted, that depending on your record sets, the count(*) should be replaced with count_big(*) to give the you the correct results.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.