SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cast vs. Convert

Cast vs. Convert

Author
agrawal.prakriti
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cast vs. Convert
Rune Bivrin
Rune Bivrin
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Good question, but which alternative is correct depends on how you define platform. If you define "platform" as "versions of SQL Server", then CONVERT works in every version whereas CAST was introduced in 7.0 (IIRC - could've been 2000).

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.
Ian_McCann
Ian_McCann
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

I liked the question. I got it wrong and I learnt something.
Thank you.
ma-516002
ma-516002
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Which capabilities is CAST missing when it "has less capabilities in SQL Server"?
Adi Cohn
Adi Cohn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Convert has a third parameter that is optional and is called style. It is mostly used with dates. For example check out the next script:

declare @dt char(10)

select @dt = '31/01/2010'

--This will always work
select convert(smalldatetime, @dt, 103)

--This might work and might fail
select cast (@dt as smalldatetime)
go

declare @dt char(10)

select @dt = '01/31/2010'

--This will always work
select convert(smalldatetime, @dt, 101)

--This might work and might fail
select cast (@dt as smalldatetime)

Notice that with the convert function, I was able to work with the string as date regardless of the format that I was using because of the third parameter, but when I used cast function only one format could be cast to smalldatetime.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Good question, correct answer (well, it does depend on how one interprets "platform" but it's correct for what I think is the natural interpretation) but the explanation is a little lacking in that it appears to suggest that the style parameter of convert is only for datetime, whereas in fact it also is used for binary, float, real, money, smallmoney, and xml types.

Tom

WayneS
WayneS
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)

CONVERT has the third parameter "style" which can be used when converting datetime to string

The style parameter can also used when converting float/real, money/smallmoney, xml and binary/varbinary/char/varchar.

See BOL for more information.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

Brnbngls
Brnbngls
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)SSC-Addicted (478 reputation)

I took platforms to mean various RDMS' (Oracle, Sybase, etc.). And I knew CAST worked in Oracle (since that's where I'm spending alot of time lately) but wasn't sure about CONVERT. Took a gamble, got it right.

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.
Paul White
Paul White
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

I am shocked and appalled that Jeff hasn't posted anything about code portability being a myth yet.
Very disappointing Laugh ;-)

I love CONVERT.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
bouarroudj Mohamed
bouarroudj Mohamed
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)

CONVERT works across all platforms & has more capabilities in SQL Server is also true
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.