I wanted to post this so it would be out there on the Web for anyone else searching for a solution to this problem.
I've got a Windows 2008 box and I'm installing SQL 2008 on it. I was also installing SSRS as well as other components.
When the install completed it had failed, and the only Item that failed was SSRS. I combed the logs and could not find an error, as a matter of fact the logs indicated it had installed successfully and the only error in the event logs was as follows
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER) service to connect.
Event ID 7009
I found a post on the forum here for SQL 2005 SSRS, http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic470451-146-1.aspx
, which led to this MS article, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884495
, and it fixed my install.
Here are the steps so you don't have to click on the links
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
3. Right-click Control, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. In the New Value #1 box, type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
6. Click Decimal, type the number of milliseconds that you want to wait until the service times out, and then click OK.
For example, to wait 60 seconds before the service times out, type 60000.
Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
I changed mine to 120000, and upon reload bam it was up and running.