SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The database cannot be recovered because the log was not restored.

The database cannot be recovered because the log was not restored.

Author
pols
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

my db name is abc.. i hv restored the bckup on tht db.. But in middle i have cancleed the restoration..
After refreshing the respective db, i am getting as db is in 'restoring' position.

once i cancelled the restore command in middle,it should not restore right.. why iam getting as still it is restoring state?

i hv executed: restore database abc with recovery

I am geting as 'The database cannot be recovered because the log was not restored.'

Now i dont hv old backup to continue my restoration.

how to bring that db in normal state?pls help..

Pols.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Restore it from scratch.

You cancelled the restore part way through so the entire database was not restored. That cannot be brought online. Drop it, get a fresh backup and restore completely, this time not killing the restore part way through.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

dineshvishe
dineshvishe
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)

How to cancel restoring state of database ??
Which is hanging state in mssql server instance..
Markus
Markus
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

dineshvishe (8/8/2012)
How to cancel restory state of databaase..

It is stuck in this state since you canceled the restore. Once a restore has been started you cannot undo what the restore has begun... there is no rollback a restore process so it is left in a hung state.

About all you can do is get another good backup and restore it from that.

dineshvishe
dineshvishe
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)

Restoring state is still hang then go right click and Delete option there.You can option with close with connection..select as per your requirement..
dineshvishe
dineshvishe
SSC-Enthusiastic

before restoring backup check following...

restore verifyonly from disk ='E:\bk_full_datacenter\test1.bak' --The backup set on file 1 is valid.
restore labelonly from disk ='E:\bk_full_datacenter\test1.bak'-- media related information
restore filelistonly from disk ='E:\bk_full_datacenter\test1.bak'--list filegroups in backup
restore headeronly from disk ='E:\bk_full_datacenter\test1.bak' --see compatiblity level and software version

then try to restore backup..
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.