SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

4-4-5 Calendar Functions, Part 2

4-4-5 Calendar Functions, Part 2

Author
corder
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item 4-4-5 Calendar Functions, Part 2

Cem Uney
Cem Uney
Valued Member
Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)

Thanks for nice article.
Also function which returns the Weeks is more usefull for retail programs and like-for-like discussions.
As you now sql server's DATEPART weeknumber function does not return the real Week number according to the
4-5-4 calendar...
For example if your week starts with Monday.

01/01/2010 Friday
02/01/2010 Saturday
03/01/2010 Sunday
04/01/2010 Monday

Sql Server returns 1 for weeknumber of 01/01/2010 but it is the 53th week of 2009.
Sql Server returns 2 for weeknumber of 04/01/2010 but it is the 1st week of 2010.

So the new function should return 2009W53 2010W01
anyway thanks again Wink
mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Every time I read these articles about 4-4-5 my head hurts... and I vow again and again to make sure to not take a job with a company that follows this practice Smile

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

Thanks for taking the time to put together this article.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

corder
corder
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)

Thanks for the comments. It somehow slipped past me that the article was published already. Any other comments are much appreciated.

Cliff

ajhuddy
ajhuddy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Thanks for the article. I'm actually working on fiscal based periods at the moment, and have opted to have all of the periods defined in a setup-type table.

E.g.
Period # | Fiscal Year # | Quarter # | Start Date | End Date

That way, the end-user is responsible to define the fiscal year, and no calculations are required.

Your thoughts?
corder
corder
SSC-Enthusiastic

Using a table is preferable. You'll see better performance out of queries. Something interesting that came up during the comments on Part 1 of the article is performance issues with Date comparisons, especially the BETWEEN operator, and possible ways to increase performance. You might want to check that out.

ron.carlton 41182
ron.carlton 41182
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)

A table is preferrable for performance reasons. I used a table function because i can pass in what factory location since each of our sites has a different calendar of workdays and holidays; and of course i had to revised it during development several times because the "requirements" kept changing.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.