SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Can't drop, detach or set SUSPECT database to emergency mode

Can't drop, detach or set SUSPECT database to emergency mode

Author
debbie_jacob
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a database in a dev enviroment that is in SUSPECT mode. This is 2005. I don't need to recover the database. It is just development and the users can restore and/or upgrade from backup. I just want to remove it. I have browsed the forums but have not found a way to do it. Here is what I tried and the messages I received back:

> drop database my_database
Msg 926, Level 14, State 1, Line 1
Database 'my_database' cannot be opened. It has been marked SUSPECT by recovery. See the SQL Server errorlog for more information.

> EXEC sp_detach_db 'my_database';
Msg 3707, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot detach a suspect database. It must be repaired or dropped.

> ALTER DATABASE my_database SET EMERGENCY;
Msg 926, Level 14, State 1, Line 1
Database 'my_database' cannot be opened. It has been marked SUSPECT by recovery. See the SQL Server errorlog for more information.
Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

I am not sure what else to try. Is there a way to force a db to be dropped?

I can't open/view the errorlog (another issue, perhaps related?). I get an error message saying "Unicode File expected". Our RAID 5 had some issues last week and the systems guy fixed that. There are also 5 dbs whose state is "Recovery_Pending". I mention this in case it is all related and that it might help. I would like to remove these as well but I will tackle one issue at a time. Smile

Thanks!
ss-457805
ss-457805
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Drop database <DBname> should work irrespective of the state.

blog: http://sarveshsingh.com

Twitter: @sarveshsing
debbie_jacob
debbie_jacob
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

Ok. I did it by brute force. I stopped Sql Server. Renamed the data file. When I brought Sql Server back up, the database was no longer marked as "suspect" but it could not be accessed either.

I issued EXEC sp_detach_db my_database. It returned with a warning but it appears to have worked. Then I just deleted the .mdf and .log files.
rzoltan
rzoltan
Valued Member
Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)

Next You have database on SUSPECT and You don't need to recover it, right click it and choose Delete. I did that way several times.
suspectrecovery
suspectrecovery
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

just mail to me at suspectrecovery@gmail.com, i'll mail SUSpect recovery utility to you.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)

Please note: 3 year old thread.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

vinod.s81
vinod.s81
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

am als having the same problem
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

vinod.s81 (1/4/2014)
am als having the same problem

What have you tried? Did you try any of the solutions on this thread? Did you try any other solutions? What have you tried?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.