SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Substring column

Substring column

Author
jim.rasmussen
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a table with a column for comments. VARCHAR(1000). When executing a query in QA and results to text option I get this field 1000 characters wide. When this is used, SUBSTRING(COMMENTS, 1, 4) al is good but, when I use this SUBSTRING(COMMENTS, 1, LEN(COMMENTS)) and the length is 4 I get the full length of the field. is there any type of formating that can be done to fix this? My ultimate goal is to have this query be sent my xp_sendmail.
Thanks
Jim
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)

SUBSTRING(COMMENTS, 1, LEN(COMMENTS)) will always return the full length of the field. Look at it... you need to do something else.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Joie Andrew
Joie Andrew
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Will this not work?

SELECT RTRIM(COMMENTS) FROM <table_name>

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
jim.rasmussen
jim.rasmussen
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

An update. I am using XP_SENDMAIL with @QUERY. The results for @QUERY can be sent as an attachment or in the message of the email. In either case the results are formated with the columns length set to the field description ie VARCHAR(1000). So a better question is can the results from @QUERY be formated with XP_SENDMAIL?
Thanks
Jim
Joie Andrew
Joie Andrew
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Have you tested it? If you run the query statement that is being assigned to @query in management studio and have the output written to a file that would probably give you a good idea of what it would look like as an attachment when being sent with xp_sendmail. What happens when you try using xp_sendmail to send the e-mail to yourself?

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
jim.rasmussen
jim.rasmussen
SSC Journeyman

The RTRIM(COMMENTS) does not give me the correct results. The 'header line' that is generated by 'results to file' option is 1000 characters. But I have found a solution with using Crystal Reports and our main application.
Thanks for the asist.
Jim
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)

Ah... now I see what you're trying to do.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.