SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using Server Side Traces for Dynamic Performance Evaluation

Using Server Side Traces for Dynamic Performance Evaluation

Author
JacekO
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using Server Side Traces for Dynamic Performance Evaluation

---------------------------------------------
Nothing is impossible.
It is just a matter of time and money.

ryan.hart
ryan.hart
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)

Thanks for posting this info. I also have some situations where several sprocs access the same tables for different purposes. It'll be nice to get specific performance change details system wide after changing one sproc, index, etc...
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Well done.

I have been doing this type of analysis for a decade now, but have never done the execution histogram like you have done with the case statements. I like that.

It would have been nice if you had covered some of the ways to 'normalize' the executions by replacing sproc parameter values. Perhaps the next article... Smile

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
david.murden
david.murden
Valued Member
Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)

Hi Jacek0,

I might be being a cabbage but i have never seen :: used as a prefix to a join or anywhere else in sql actually. I had a quick search around and can't find anything about its usage.

Can you tell me what the :: does as a prefix to the built-in function fn_trace_gettable()?

cheers
G33kKahuna
G33kKahuna
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)

JacekO,

No offense, but you are wasting too much time on worthless reporting. If I were you, I would just use ClearTrace to read the trace results. It analyzes based on SQL signature

Cheers ...
JacekO
JacekO
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)SSC Eights! (874 reputation)

david.murden (12/1/2009)
Hi Jacek0,

I might be being a cabbage but i have never seen :: used as a prefix to a join or anywhere else in sql actually. I had a quick search around and can't find anything about its usage.

Can you tell me what the :: does as a prefix to the built-in function fn_trace_gettable()?

cheers

It is not an issue with SQL 2005 and up but SQL 2000 required the usage of :: when calling system table valued UDFs. The reason you can not find anthing about :: is because as far as I know no search engine is going to treat the :: as a valid string so it is not going to return any results.

Nothing is impossible.

Tommy Bollhofer
Tommy Bollhofer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

david.murden (12/1/2009)
Hi Jacek0,

cheers

ClearTrace doesn't do it all....grouping the procedures into logical buckets 1-2 seconds, 3-4 seconds, etc. isn't worthless reporting for performance tuning ;-)

Tommy

Follow @sqlscribe
G33kKahuna
G33kKahuna
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)

ClearTrace doesn't do it all....grouping the procedures into logical buckets 1-2 seconds, 3-4 seconds, etc. isn't worthless reporting for performance tuning ;-)

Yes it is ...

1. If you are using sp_executesql to send in dynamic queries, this breakdown will be mostly false positive

2. If the usage of a SP is higher, ClearTrace will bubble it up based on signature and the rest of the breakdown is just fluff ... worst case scenario just use DMV stats to do the query usage break down.

3. 1-2 sec, 3-4 sec breakdown is not gonna tell you any story related to performance tuning ... there is more to performance tuning that these breakdowns ...

Again, i'm mentioning freebies. Ofcourse there are commercial tools that can do more
JacekO
JacekO
SSC Eights!

G33kKahuna,

Thanks for reading the article and I am sorry you did not find it useful.
If the tools you use always give you what you want and you never have to use pure T-SQL to get more info you might consider yourself one of the few lucky ones. As far as the tools are concerned I never found one that gave me all I needed, so from time to time I have to write a routine or two.

Nothing is impossible.

Tommy Bollhofer
Tommy Bollhofer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

G33kKahuna (12/1/2009)

Yes it is ...

1. If you are using sp_executesql to send in dynamic queries, this breakdown will be mostly false positive

2. If the usage of a SP is higher, ClearTrace will bubble it up based on signature and the rest of the breakdown is just fluff ... worst case scenario just use DMV stats to do the query usage break down.

3. 1-2 sec, 3-4 sec breakdown is not gonna tell you any story related to performance tuning ... there is more to performance tuning that these breakdowns ...

Again, i'm mentioning freebies. Ofcourse there are commercial tools that can do more

On the contrary, in combination w/ avg reads, avg writes, and avg CPU this information can tell a very good story. The point being that ClearTrace like any commercial product has limitations. JacekO was kind enough to share some alternatives w/ the rest of the SQL Server community.

Tommy

Follow @sqlscribe
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.