SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Disappointing

Disappointing

Author
dalcock
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm sure I will receive much abust for this post, but I'm going to share my thoughts anyway because I am a big fan of SQLServer Central and I care about the quality of its content.

That being said, I found this article extremely disappointing on many levels. First off, as has been mentioned already, operator precedence and the result are identical for the expressions (X * Y) / Z and X*Y/Z. Second, as the author mentions, SQL is built upon set theory and the performance of set based operations dramaticaly outperforms sequential operations, which is why I can't understand why the artical is demonstrating alternatives to set-based solutions when a real-world premise for doing isn't even identified.

Last, there are several set-based operations that can accomplish sophisticated updates (like using ROWCOUNT) that numerous prior articles on this very site have identified. So, as I said, I am very disappointed with this article and fail to see how it is relevant (or helpful) at all to SQL programmers new and old.
dalcock
dalcock
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Sorry to all. This was intended to be a reply not a new topic. I have posted my reply to the article as I intended to originally.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.