SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Jobs

SQL Server Jobs

Author
dawryn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Another QoD turned sour
And it will be covered with educational purposes Whistling
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

What to say...?

SQL Agent is installed with SQL Server 2008 Express but cannot be started.

So the creation of job is meaning less if you cannot execute it.

Lost my point....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

Dude76
Dude76
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

So, it seems i'm not alone being trapped by create/schedule a job for the 2008 Express Edition BigGrin

My MCP Transcript (ID : 692471 Access : 109741229)
timfle
timfle
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)

poor question, poor explanation

and I do not agree with the "supposed" answer - but then why should we expect the "author" to know what he/she is talking about when they can't even spell "enterprise"?

sqljohn (twitter)
sqljohn (twitter)
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)

so technically you CAN create the jobs but it is meaningless because they will never be run. tis a bit misleading if someone just reads the answer and not the forum, then runs off to install express
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

MarkusB (11/26/2009)
Strictly speaking you can create a job in SQL 2005 Express as well. All the necessary stored procedures in the msdb are there and you can execute them succesfully. You cannot execute them on a schedule because there's no SQL Agent, but a job exists.
Just try this:
USE msdb ;
GO

EXEC dbo.sp_add_job
@job_name = N'Daily Backup' ;
GO
select * from sysjobs
GO
Exec dbo.sp_delete_job @job_name = N'Daily Backup' ;

I think the question should be in which version can you execute jobs on a schedule.

I would have to agree with this. The question in this scenario just does not quite seem to match properly. The question asks what editions can you create a job in SQL Server, far different from being able to schedule a job.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

david.wright-948385
david.wright-948385
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I think this is one for Steve (Jones):

There have been a number of QoDs lately that appear to be designed deliberately to mislead, on the pretext that everyone will get it wrong and "learn from the experience". Trouble is, it just makes people cynical about QoD in general and stop them even trying to answer, because answering correctly isn't based on skill or knowledge, rather it is a simple but annoying game of chance.
Rob Goddard
Rob Goddard
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)

dawryn (11/26/2009)
Another QoD turned sour
And it will be covered with educational purposes Whistling

Hey, but at least we learned something, right?
Oh, wait...

--------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Well, I can't defend this one. I have to agree, what good is it to create the job if you can't run it?

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
kevin.l.williams
kevin.l.williams
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

I don't think I learned anything useful by getting this question wrong. Who cares if you can create a job in express if it can't be used?

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.