SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Microsoft Business Intelligence Project Booster Kit

Microsoft Business Intelligence Project Booster Kit

Author
Siddharth Mehta
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Microsoft Business Intelligence Project Booster Kit
SBS-291204
SBS-291204
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Mate, I think you'll find Jamie Thomson is a man... unless he's not telling us something?
Siddharth Mehta
Siddharth Mehta
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

I came to know that just before 1 month. But this article was submitted long before that. My apollogies for the same. Pardon me Jamie, you can beat me up for that during the User Group meeting on 26th :-)
giovi
giovi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)

Hi siddarth,

couple of things captured my interest:
- creating stored procedures for reports; is this wise in a MS BI environment? with a datawarehouse and cubes, one of things I found out best to use is a 3rd party report/analysis tool which truly uses the cubes. This saves a lot of effort; there is pretty much stuff, MS gold partners out there, delivering things at the level of pro-clarity
- documentation; although the product is not at the level to show full interdependancies, the BI documenter will be of use to many
- use the metadata fields in the database, as well descriptions in cube dimensions to extract them with automated tools
Siddharth Mehta
Siddharth Mehta
SSC Journeyman

I agree. When one has the leisure of purchasing licenses of 3rd party tools, one can always do that.
I have just tried to list tools that incurrs no cost.

Also using of stored procedures is/was required in the 2005 SSRS version. Even in DW environments, operational reporting can be a requirement when one wants to compensate for real time refresh of data from cubes. Cubes generally are refreshed at specific intervals, and the data generally changed during those intervals is facilitated thru operational reporting using operational reports right from the OLTP system.

This is my viewpoint. Thanks for your feedback.
giovi
giovi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)

Hi Siddarth

When talking about 2005 and/or operational reporting, yes, I agree stored procedures work well.
bella_porter
bella_porter
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

This is an interesting kit! I wonder how hard it is to understand!

Bella
Siddharth Mehta
Siddharth Mehta
SSC Journeyman

I didn't get the meaning. If you would like to see something in this kit, or something that you didn't think belongs to this kit, please add your feedback. In case if you feel that this idea is garbage, in that case thanks for reading this article. :-)
mike_barns21
mike_barns21
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

I loved this! thanks!

Mike
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)

Nice Article

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.